Helpfull hints when buying a car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2002, 06:52   #1 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Helpfull hints when buying a car

Keep looking dude you just have to be confident and don't take any crap from the dealer. They will always say that the price there offering is the lowest they can go but they can always go cheaper. Don't accept any thing extra like "extra rego or warrenty" just take the extra's as a discount on the car.
I'm in the market for a car my self at the moment but I've got no tradin and $3000 I found an EA series 2 anniversary pack fully optioned for $3999 and tommorrow I'm going to offer $3000 cash. it's got 203,000 and the body is perfect it's lowered with fairmont mags.
I found others though including an EA 89 S with 240,000 in excellent condition but the dealer was a wank so I drove the car and left him saying "I may have got the car but you were a toss so see ya".
Take your time dude and remember your doing them a favour. They will always try and tell you that
a) manuals are heaps rare better get this one (bullshit - there harder to find but not impossible)
b) that this car will sell today (bullshit - it will sit there don't worry)
c) never find anything as good as this (bullshit - I went to one dealer and the guy was busy so I walked around to 5 other dealers and found 3 other "rare" manuals Spacks in about 25 mins)
Always ignore the price there asking and offer what you place as the value on the car and be prepared to walk. The fact is that there are some self deluded dealers that won't negotiate and they don't deserve your sale simple as that.
Be a prick about any faults on the car and attach a (realistic) dollar value to those faults. Rub your finger over every scratch and every dent. Pay close attention to the wheels and the spare. Drill them with questions if they say it's a good reliable car ask them why they think that. If they offer a warrenty drill them on that as well. Make them work for there money and then don't ever buy on the spot. When your seconds away from the purchace walk away regardless. Go get a drink and sit down and think about it. If your still happy go back and buy it. Ignore any threats about your agreed price only being valid for the next 5 mins. Just go away and think about it.
Always bring a knowledgeable friend or your father with you cause there is nothing easer than a lone sale.
Hope that helps I'm gonna post this in the main section as I think it would be helpfull to most people to.
Catchya!
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 00:47   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

That's some useful info :) I also recommend the following thread with various specific gremlins to watch for when buying used:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=23556

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons