Herrod Underdrives? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 03:15   #1 (permalink)

Herrod Underdrives?

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times before, but i'm too lazy to look it up! I'm considering getting the Herrod underdrives and helix spacer, what kind of improvement can I expect and is it worth the $$$$$$$?
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 03:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Herrod Underdrives?

excuse my ignorance, but what do these actually do?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:53   #3 (permalink)

If you are going to put in the underdrive pullies, you will also need to replace your clutch with a mal woods clutch. My understanding of the underdrive pullies is that they allow the engine speed to be higher. When the clutch engages it has to engage with the engine at a higher speed causing 1. a quicker take off and 2. more wear and over heating of the clutch. Many people have got them and found that it burnt their clutch fluid to smitherines.

I personally wouldn't get them, but that is just my opinion. Please feel free to correct anything i have written on here. Maybe someone could give us a better understanding of exactly what the underdrive pullies actually do.

The helix spacers help the flow of air to the engine. In my opinion, they look better than there actual performance gain. If you run a CAI then it with help a little, but we're talking bugger all performance gains.
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAZLA
If you are going to put in the underdrive pullies, you will also need to replace your clutch with a mal woods clutch. My understanding of the underdrive pullies is that they allow the engine speed to be higher. When the clutch engages it has to engage with the engine at a higher speed causing 1. a quicker take off and 2. more wear and over heating of the clutch. Many people have got them and found that it burnt their clutch fluid to smitherines.

I personally wouldn't get them, but that is just my opinion. Please feel free to correct anything i have written on here. Maybe someone could give us a better understanding of exactly what the underdrive pullies actually do.

The helix spacers help the flow of air to the engine. In my opinion, they look better than there actual performance gain. If you run a CAI then it with help a little, but we're talking bugger all performance gains.
Ummm, what?

You don't have to do a single thing to the engine other than fit the kit. The clutch has no relevance at all. They are highly recomended and a great first mod. I have seen the difference in power. I wouldn't go Herrod though.

The spacer doesn't do anything. Might give you a bit up high but thats it.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 21:41   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Ummm, what?

You don't have to do a single thing to the engine other than fit the kit. The clutch has no relevance at all. They are highly recomended and a great first mod. I have seen the difference in power. I wouldn't go Herrod though.

I'm talking for the BA's. This may be different for other models. I think you will find it is very relevant to the clutch in the BA's. Yes it just bolts on, but you need to look at what it does and how it affects other components of the car.
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 21:56   #6 (permalink)
"HSV I JUST BLEW ONE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Ummm, what?

If not through Herrod Chris from BluePower then or ??
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:42   #7 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAZLA
I'm talking for the BA's. This may be different for other models. I think you will find it is very relevant to the clutch in the BA's. Yes it just bolts on, but you need to look at what it does and how it affects other components of the car.
Explain to me how fitting underdrive pullies effect the clutch on a BA?
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 14:07   #8 (permalink)

I not going to explain it to you, but I will confirm that the original clutch will not be able handle the extra enertia created by the underdrives. I don't quite understand my self why it happen's but it does.

When I fitted underdrives to my BA XR8 the clutch handled it quite well for 5000km then after the pressure plate stopped operating (so to speak) when driving the car in a performance type of way. In short the pressure plate over heats and causes the fingers to soften therefore rendering the clutch usless at hi engine RPM's.

If you wan't more info contact Mal at Mal Wood automotive on 07-4661-3548.
Mal will explain it to you in more detail.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:19   #9 (permalink)
Magnificence in Motion

Underdrives are perfectly fine on an auto but do create clutch prob's on the manual's.

The Helix's are a bit over stated, there are better thing's to do.

I said to the ICWS ( In Car Whingeing System )
"What's the problem, it's a victimless crime...except for him, he lost!"

XcelR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:22   #10 (permalink)

Underdrive pullies create nothing except voided warranties. I think that Mal will explain it in excellent detail because he sells clutches.
mr_smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons