Hooray! No more leaks! - OR - Multipoint Take 3
Finally fixed my cooling system this morning. Last weekend when I bypassed the heater core, I chucked some bars leaks in the overflow bottle.
Bloody stuff clogged up my overflow pipe! So pressure was building in the head, causing the thermostat housing to leak everywhere, coolant to drain out of the head, but I didn't notice it at first because the overflow bottle was still full. It was running a little hot however.
Got it home last monday night, pulled off the thermostat cover, there was virtually no coolant in it at all! I managed to pour 7 (yes, seven!) litres of coolant straight into the engine. It totally freaked me out, I thought I'd done a headgasket and all sorts. Haven't driven the car all week.
Drained the system yesterday, but the overflow bottle was still full... I pulled off the pipe at the radiator, nothing came out. Put pressure back into the bottle, all of a sudden this mass of gunk came out of the pipe. Bars leaks.
Good news is I've refitted the thermostat housing with a decent helping of Ultra-Black, totally cleaned out the overflow bottle and pipe, and throughly back-flushed the engine. Cooling system is good now, took it for a drive before, temp guage goes up to 'R' and then drops back to just before 'O'
So I'm very happy, my car is finally working proper. If you add up the time since I started the mpfi conversion, the total is now around 10 weeks of not having the car running proper.
Next step is thermos and then getting the heater fixed before next winter. Hooray!
EA GL-Ghia pseudo operator
3.9 MPFI converted 4 speed
2.5 inch exhaust
NC Ghia interior (except rear trims)
Fairmont audio (with 4 speakers)
S-pac cluster with white dials
Trip computer and Fairmont interior lighting.
Half wired Ghia BCM.