Horn not working-> FIXED!!!! (follows on from horn pad contact thingo thread) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2004, 06:43   #1 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Horn not working-> FIXED!!!! (follows on from horn pad contact thingo thread)

a few of you might remember my question a few weeks ago about getting parts for the boss kits for MOMO steering wheels, as my horn and cruise was not working...well i had a bit of time over the weekend to look into this problem in a little more detail, and i found a solution that costs $0, but is only a band-aid fix at best, until i can get a new part...

anyway, first off i had a look at which of the three contacts was the one causing the dramas (the lower left one) the three contacts are indicated by pink arrows, and the green arrows indicate the copper dust that USED to be part of the contacts...

when removing the steering wheel make sure you mark the bolt thread and the wheel so that you can put it back on the way it belongs, so the wheel is still straight when you are done.

there is a side shot of the offending contact after removing the steering wheel, so you get an idea. to remove it you pull the wire off the back and push the contact inwards, and turn it 90 degrees (either way, it doesnt matter) then when you release it it will spring out at you.

i had nothing at home that could lengthen that copper contact, so i decided to just slide it into its hole and not affix it properly (ie push and turn) this allows it to come out a lot further - its held in by the steering wheel when the wheel is fitted so it cant fall out - the middle pic is of the contact removed, the 'fat' end needs to be about 4mm longer.

this should lengthen its usefull life by a year or so i think, at any rate long enough to go to the wreckers and see if the contact from a normal steering wheel will fit that hole...at least at the moment my horn and cruise control works!!! one less possible defect to worry about...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg far pic of worn bits.jpg (30.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg worn out bit removed.jpg (15.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg worn out bit.jpg (16.2 KB, 57 views)

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons