Ford Forums banner

How do i replace BA XR Driving Lights

26K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  dk_falconXR6 
#1 ·
hi guys.
just a quick question.
has anyone had to replace the driving lights (fog lights) on their BA XR6? one of mine blew the other day and I have no idea on how to replace it.

How do you get around there? do u need to take off the bumper???

Need the info.

#4 ·
Easy, drop splash panel, undo 9 screws and remove.

Then push on the front of the foglight (push in towards the rear of the car) with one hand holding it from behind so it doesnt fall on the ground and break, once you get that far it should be pretty easy to replace bulb and refit. Just make sure you get it straight when replacing it so the bulb is pointing down towards the ground, you will be able to tell whether its straight or not from the metal shield that sits over the bulb.

G
#8 ·
baXR6nk said:
hi guys.
just a quick question.
has anyone had to replace the driving lights (fog lights) on their BA XR6? one of mine blew the other day and I have no idea on how to replace it.

How do you get around there? do u need to take off the bumper???

Need the info.
If you have a skinny-enough arm, you can stretch through the gaps behind the bumper-under cover without removing the bumper, and pop the lamp out of it's bumper retaining/locating lugs, and it will drop out in your face hanging on it's wiring loom. You can also mix-up relocating the lamp on the lugs by 180 degrees and have it shine-up if you want!

How do I know? Sadly, I know more about the structural build / quality of the BA, than anyone here would want to know! That's another story, but suffice to say, the latest Aussie Ford build quality is worse than it has ever been!

I have my flame suit on...

JG

G
#10 ·
laminge said:
ok with a comment like that I think we know more?
Yep... enough to know that I would never own one past it's 100kkm/3 yr warranty date. Don't get me wrong... I love Fords, but the latest are rust-bucket, time-bomb disasters... and I have the graphical evidence to dissapoint every member here!

JG

G
#12 ·
FPV TURBO said:
Interesting comment, however you better back it up with some further story telling.
OK, you asked and you will receive. It has being a year in waiting for a response from "my" Ford Dealer, but look for a new thread, subject "Rust, never sleeps". Coming soon, at a forum under your feet!

JG

#13 ·
Reborn said:
Yep... enough to know that I would never own one past it's 100kkm/3 yr warranty date. Don't get me wrong... I love Fords, but the latest are rust-bucket, time-bomb disasters... and I have the graphical evidence to dissapoint every member here!

JG
That's a big statement ReBorn, I await your thread.

#14 ·
yeah had a read through the manual last night, seems like a lot of mucking around. might have to wait till the service in january and get them to do it.

thanks for the replies guys and reborn you have opened up a very interesting can of worms. looking forward to reading more.

#15 ·
Reborn, i know where you are coming from........my car was a piece of crap too.

In regards to the light issue, you can't replace the bulb, i had to replace the light on my old oct 02 build XR6 and it was a sealed unit. I had to replace the entire light. From memory it was over $100+ for the light, i replaced it myself.....

#16 ·
That's crap. It is not a totally sealed unit! dk_falconXR6 if you dealer told you it's a sealed unit then they are teling you bullcrap. If you came to the conclusion that it's a sealed unit because you weren't able to remove the cover then you werent having a real go!

To replace the globe you first need to remove part or all of the splash guard whatever is easist. Then remove the loom that plugs into the back of the globe. Fully Remove the fog light assembly which mounts into the bumper cavity. After it has been removed, use a tune up screwdriver to flick the tabs off the lense cover that clips onto the black housing. It can be a bitch to seperate the lense from the housing, but persevere and they will eventually seperate. Once they are sepereated, remove and replace globe and ensure the hook clip thing is clipped back in properly. Reverse procedure for installation.

#18 ·
I know he sold his car. The first paragraph was a reply to him and the second paragraph was a reply to the thread starter as his questions was "How do i replace BA XR Driving Lights".

#19 ·
Cobra said:
That's crap. It is not a totally sealed unit! dk_falconXR6 if you dealer told you it's a sealed unit then they are teling you bullcrap. If you came to the conclusion that it's a sealed unit because you weren't able to remove the cover then you werent having a real go!

To replace the globe you first need to remove part or all of the splash guard whatever is easist. Then remove the loom that plugs into the back of the globe. Fully Remove the fog light assembly which mounts into the bumper cavity. After it has been removed, use a tune up screwdriver to flick the tabs off the lense cover that clips onto the black housing. It can be a bitch to seperate the lense from the housing, but persevere and they will eventually seperate. Once they are sepereated, remove and replace globe and ensure the hook clip thing is clipped back in properly. Reverse procedure for installation.
I think you pretty much right Cobra. Sounds like the way to remove it.
Hope ya dont need to remove that grill nashio!

#20 ·
Cobra said:

The spare parts guy told me that the entire unit needed to be replaced.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.