How many ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 13:47   #1 (permalink)

How many ?

Given that there were (including GTs);

4706 XA hardtops built in 1972.

and

4409 XA hardtops built in 1973.

How many do you think are left ?

All the best
Sandy
Intercooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 14:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: How many ?

about 1/2 i guess, these cars were not treated or respected like the XY GT, a bit like the old cooper s , these hardtops were left to rust, smashed and choped up into street machines. now some people are kickn themselves . My mum swaped a brand new xc cobra 302 auto sunroof power steer, a/c ect for a xc station wagon 5.8 , these cars did not sell in 1978 as a fuel strike made anything V8 worthless and the coupe was no good for delivering Wynns products, looked good but boot was hard to get heavy boxes out so she went with the griswall pac wagon with 2 way electric tailgate. wasnt cool gettn dropped at school in a wagon.
Old 08-23-2004, 18:19   #3 (permalink)

Cobras came with sunroofs?
XC Coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:09   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Not enough, that's for sure, some have had a hard life.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:24   #5 (permalink)

I know of a guy with a Cobra with factory (steel) electric sunroof. He claims it is one of TWO built with sunroofs
Old 08-24-2004, 05:31   #6 (permalink)

It would be VERY interesting how many of the XA hardtops are left. I've got a '73 XA fairmont GS hardtop in pretty schmick nik. So that's one for the count. Is there some kind of Australian ford register or anything? I don't think there would be too many left at all in comparrison to how many came out of the factory. Especially since they (like all the hardtops) were, unfortuantely, pretty rust prone. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for having by far the best shape car. If only people took proper care of them.
master_jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

There would probably be more in America than in Australia, now. All ruined by rotten mad max conversions!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 20:23   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMattie
There would probably be more in America than in Australia, now. All ruined by rotten mad max conversions!!!

Not hardly. There are less than 100 Falcons in Canada & US and 10-12 of those are sedans. As for Mad Max conversions, there are less than 20 AND most of those were built by Gordon & Grant, 2 Aussies IN Australia, that are building and selling MM1 cars all over the world. Just ask them how many they have built for Japan AND England! If you think Aussie Falcons are just bought by "Yanks" then you need to look at who posts on the various Ford and Falcon forums and you'll see there are owners all over the world. Plus, what about all the South African Fairmont GT's that have been imported into Australia? Don't you think there are a lot of SA Ford owners that are fed up with Aussies "stealing" all of "THEIR" muscle cars? Or how about the thousands of "Yank" muscle cars that have been shipped to Australia? Don't tell me these are all rust buckets as I've got plenty of pics from tons of car shows in Sydney and Melbourne dating back to 1998 and there are dozens of primo US muscle cars at all of those shows. Heck, at some of the Chrysler shows there are more US muscle cars than Aussie muscle cars! I'm quite proud of the fact that these US cars were bought by car guys/gals that love the cars and want to take care of them.....regardless of where these owners live. Obviously no one down there thought much of my XA Fairmont GS as it was on its way to the tip before I bought it. No one down there wanted it so I gave it a second chance just like the other Canadian & US owners that belong to the Australian Ford Falcon Club (we're international with members from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, US, Scotland, England, and Germany). Of the 100 or so cars here, 3/4ths of the cars were rotted hulks. Several of those cars have now ended up in car mags and 2 have ended up in Australian Muscle Car.

--J
XAFALCONGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 20:36   #9 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAFALCONGS
No one down there wanted it so I gave it a second chance just like the other Canadian & US owners that belong to the Australian Ford Falcon Club (we're international with members from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, US, Scotland, England, and Germany). Of the 100 or so cars here, 3/4ths of the cars were rotted hulks. Several of those cars have now ended up in car mags and 2 have ended up in Australian Muscle Car.

--J
Well said.

As long as the cars are looked after or saved from the scrap heap I don't care where they live. Chopping up good cars is another point all together.

One problem I see is that there's such a huge amount of emotion attached to some of these cars that there's an opinion that no one really owns them, they just move from person to person throughout their life. That's why there's always the arguement of "do whatever you like to a car vs don't do anything that can't be undone".

Hmm, got a bit off track there :)
Old 08-25-2004, 03:02   #10 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

I was aiming my vehemence toward the mad max convers. not the "yanks" as you say, in particular buying Aussie cars. I've seen warehouses, full of coupes and sedans waiting shipment to go overseas.

No offence intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons

Related Reading: How many ?