how many of u on gas? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 05:37   #1 (permalink)
Sik EA bro

how many of u on gas?

dual fuel or gas research?

pro's and cons
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2004, 16:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: how many of u on gas?

Neither , both are a pain in the ass and not worth the hassle.

Duel fuel, car will never run right on one of the two. Straight gas, only my opinion, but id never own a car that runs on just gas, not a big fan.

If you doing this to save money on petrol, consider twice because the money that you spend in putting in the gas system, you most likely wont save that in fuel costs. To save money by doing this, you would need to be doing alot of k's and keep you car for another 5 years or more.

Just something to consider.
tj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 16:59   #3 (permalink)
Sik EA bro

to install a $2100 system, example gas research u need to do 44,000 k's bfor u break even, this is with fuel prices at LPG 50cents and petrol at a dollar... this is city driving to lol so 5years? thats abit much
Old 11-20-2004, 17:15   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: how many of u on gas?

I am a great Advocator for Gas. My old beast loses a bit of power on gas (10-15%) compared to petrol but I live with that as I get about 350-400km in the city for $25 with todays gas prices. If i was on petrol the cost would be closer to $50-$60.

Newer cars like the AU and BA can have dedicated gas with no noticable loss of power on gas and increased fuel economy. A friend of mine has a BA and gets over 10Km/lt on the highway but drops down to 6Km/lt in the city. This, however, is still very good and would only cost $5 per hundred km's on the highway. I do 50000km a year so It makes a big difference!

If you can get a car with gas allready, do so, at least untill gas prices are 3/4 the price of petrol. If you run a car with fuel additives or on petrol once a month you will keep the valves lubricated and prevent premature wear. Or just reco the head yourself, like i did and used special gas components!

My 2cents plus GST

Regards

Damo
damo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 17:20   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

if my opinion counts(i hate petrol) gas on duel fuel,i thought with gas research they could run duel fuel if the car was fuel injectd?? not sure on this.
if you set the car up to perform best on gas and only use petrol when you run out of gas(why else would you use petrol) you should be happy with performance/economy
the gas systems i've had on my last 5 cars actually saved enough money to pay for the cars and the conversion
my old 4.1 XE manuual on duel fuel with EFI cam(had a carby)extrators,2"exhaust and 2.92 LSD tuned for gas used to be quicker than a VS V6 auto
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 22:02   #6 (permalink)
Sik EA bro

yes u can run dual fuel gas research e series onwards they dont bother doing dual setup untill u hit bout ef style manifold au looks same and u just flick switch lpg or petrol and there both seperate however some computer component connected to the gas research throttle body for computer monitoring etc (other side of it is connected to accelerator cable) so all works pretty nicely
Old 11-20-2004, 23:36   #7 (permalink)

Ok, fair enough

5 years was a little too exagerated. However 2 years would be a more accepted figure.

So lets say 50,000 ks per year, like damo03 said, 92 litre gas tank, gas at an average of 50 cents per litre. Compared with a 62 litre petrol tank, avergage 1 dollar per litre. At fairly conservative fuel economies, i figure it will take about 2 years to see any return at all. Providing gas stays at about half or less than the price of ULP.
tj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I'd love a daily on gas but I wouldn't convert anything, not worth the cost.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:02   #9 (permalink)
Pimpin the chrome

Ive had both on many cars, and currently have dual fuel.

I personally think you should go either Petrol or Gas. My last EA on straight LPG pulled quite hard, ALOT quicker than the current CFI EA!

Ill be putting the current EA to straight LPG in a couple of months, Im mainly not fond of both due to the fact that you either tune it to LPG or Petrol and alot of cars seem not to like running on both.

My 5c

EF head | EF XR6 Cam |Pacemaker 3320(?) extractors | Hiflo cat
3:23 | Auto | XH Snorkle | Thermos | 2.5" Mandrel Exhaust
Full NC2 Sportsman Interior inc Dash & Electrics
Custom Clear Tailights and Garnish
Sprint kit | Moffat front bar (soon) | king lows
FTR Chrome Rims | Driving lights | Custom ED Mesh grill
Pioneer of the Clear ED tailights
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
Sik EA bro

by straight gas, do u mean gas research?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons