How to recognise Ford 9 inch Diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 20:10   #1 (permalink)

confused How to recognise Ford 9 inch Diff

Have purchased a 63 Falcon Panel Van was advertised with a ford nine inch but guy who delivered car tells me i have been dupted its an 8 inch how do i tell the difference.

Van has a 302 windsor in it and don't want any troubles down the track with a diff that won't do the job.
63Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 20:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: How to recognise Ford 9 inch Diff

If you are not going to put slicks on it and do high RPM launches don't worry too much. In a street application with an auto tranny you should have no problems.

The two look almost exactly alike with the exception of size of course. Here is a really good page with ID info and much much more....

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 20:31   #3 (permalink)

Mate, just have a look under the car from the rear. If its a borg warner diff you'll see a plate bolted to the back of the diff roughly the same size of the centre. A 9" won't have that.
Old 11-29-2005, 20:48   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
If you are not going to put slicks on it and do high RPM launches don't worry too much. In a street application with an auto tranny you should have no problems.

The two look almost exactly alike with the exception of size of course. Here is a really good page with ID info and much much more....

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Just read some of the info in the attachment from what I saw last night looks like it may be an 8 inch (DOOOO) will check 2night. Very informative piece though will archive that for when I am looking for a nine inch if thats what i end up doing.

Cheers OhioXB
63Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 00:54   #5 (permalink)

look for the guy with the big arms lol

mustangs had a 8"diff , look like a 9"to the untrained eye , bul have a look at the site mentioned above , all the clues are there. i think the stock xp diff is a 4 stud axle too.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:28   #6 (permalink)

I've accumulated a bit of links in my research on Fords. I was a Mopar man all my life until 2003 so now I am getting up to speed on Fords. I had a basic knowledge of them but little in depth knowledge. The internet is a wonderful thing!

A buddy of mine drag raced a 67 Mustang with an 8" rear end and manual trans. He said he made 7,000 RPM launches for 4 race seasons before he blew up the rear end. After hearing that I had no problem having him build the 8" for my wife's '66 Mustang with a street engine and automatic tranny. It's got an Auburn Posi unit in it with 3.25:1 gears and 26" tires.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:37   #7 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

8.8" are tough. Every mustang late model runs a 8.8". Dont worry about the strength, Its prob been fitted to you XL is it?, because it would have a narrower wheelbase than a XY or XA width falcon 9" diff. and those XK-XP rear wheel arches def wont acommodate anything more than stock width.. A mate has a XM sedan 302 5speed and runs a borg warner centura diff for last 3 yrs no probs..
i run apprx 365RWHP in my mustang with 8.8" no probs
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons