Ford Forums banner

How safe is the BA Falcon

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  carazy 
#1 ·
Okay, we've heard everything else now, including the change of the bonnet bulge.

Now lets hear something important - just how safe is the new BA?

At this point, let me provide a reference for the safety of the AUII/III.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicle_safety/ancap/lge_may_2001/ford_falcon_2000.html

The overall rating out of 5 stars was 3 stars.

The STRUCTURE was rated as MARGINAL.

RESTRAINTS; MARGINAL.

Pedestrian rating; 2 stars

During offset tests, the right front wheel protruded into the drivers leg area pushing the brake pedal to within 10 cm of the seat. Thats about the diameter of a human leg. Result? Possible amputation.

Is the BA safer? I asked this question of a local Ford salesman, who had received the special BA into given out a few months ago. He has told me the front suspension has been totally redesigned and that the front wheels now 'splay out' in an offset accident and under no count now intrudes into the passenger compartment.

Anyone able to confirm this? Seems ANCAP don't test cars before they are launched, so no one really knows the safety aspects of the car they are going to purchase.

See less See more
#2 ·
It Should be a four star car at least.

Its got side airbags now, and also the added weight of the BA should count for something.

In that article it did say the AU missed out on a 4 star rating by 0.3 points or something.

Cheers

[EDIT] and if your worried about the AU's saftey, think of us poor bastards in EA/EB/ED's not even an [/EDIT]

#3 ·
bigred said:
and if your worried about the AU's saftey, think of us poor bastards in EA/EB/ED's not even an
After being in a 70km/h head on crash i can say that i'm glad i was in a Falcon. I don't really care what the crash tests say etc, but if i was in a falcon and another guy in a smaller car i know which person will come out 2nd best.

G
#4 ·
the ba is the safest in it's class with duel stage airbags which deploy's half or full depending on where the driver is positioned

- if you can drive faster than light speed and turn your lights on, what happens?

#5 ·
The Au2/3 was australias safest locally produced car do I don't think they will go backwards.
BTW the EA/EB falcons actully rate quite well in safty tests. Crash tests have shown your still safer in a 81 xd (good one obviously) then some of the small/medium cars on the road.
You can't beat physics my friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.