How to sell your Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 01:12   #1 (permalink)

eek How to sell your Falcon

Things not to say to a prospective buyer...

I have recently looked at a Falcon for purchase (Actually, I've looked at lots...can't seem to find the right one). I notice some oxidisation of the thermostat housing around the radiator hose. I was test driving it, and I queried the owner...

(Me) "There seems to be a little oxidisation where the radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing...?"
(Owner) "Oh yeah...that's probably the bore water..."

I can only assume that the bore water had been used in the radiator. He made it seem so normal! Blew me away.

So...maybe it's better than a plain old boring coolant mix eh?

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2002, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
donuts2001

He probably meant the minerals in the bore water reacting with the metal... he might have put coolant in there with it. Take the coolant filler tank cap off and check that the water is green.

Oh yeah, and I wouldn't worry about the thermostat housing cover, they do corrode like that after 10 years. Just have to go down to super cheap auto and pick a new one up for $15.
Old 12-29-2002, 15:31   #3 (permalink)

Oh sure...he might have put coolant with it. But personally I'm not too keen on any vehicle that has been fed bore water with it's coolant mixture!

The thermostat housing cover wasn't too much of a concern - I had originally assumed that there was a little leakage around the hose connection - but when this guy mentioned bore water too me in context of the coolant system I got a little worried. I mean, can you imagine the sort of reaction it may haver produced within the block itself?...or the head? I mean, who knows what sort of salts and minerals the bore water had in it? I'd imagine that the radiator might be pretty nasty inside too.

From what knowledge I have gained thus far, I am a firm believer that Falcons should only ever be fed the correct coolant/distilled water mixture - or perhaps topped up with a good CLEAN source of water at other times if absolutely necessary. This seller, unfortunately, made it sound as though bore water was the standard drink for the poor old Falcon.

Another thing...the reservoir was all but empty when I looked under the hood of this thing (a hose was immediately employed to fill it when I pointed it out...probably with bore water), and the seller implied that it was normal to have to fill these things up every couple of weeks. Not owning a Falcon at present, I couldn't really say - but seems a little wrong and broken to me!

So...how often do Falcon owners normally have to fill their coolant reservoirs? Surely not 2 weekly!

Cheers
Damien
Old 12-29-2002, 18:08   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Bore water will eat out a head like hungry dogs.
Old 12-29-2002, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
donuts2001

Quote:
Another thing...the reservoir was all but empty when I looked under the hood of this thing (a hose was immediately employed to fill it when I pointed it out...probably with bore water), and the seller implied that it was normal to have to fill these things up every couple of weeks. Not owning a Falcon at present, I couldn't really say - but seems a little wrong and broken to me!
I'd say you'd have to check your water levels about once every 6 months. So yeah every couple of weeks isn't normal
Old 12-29-2002, 19:16   #6 (permalink)

2 weekly is not normal!
id say the bore water has taken its toll
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 20:48   #7 (permalink)

Scary stuff. It boggles the mind. With a little more care taken (and very little expense) it could have been a good car.

Such an unnecessary shame I think.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:49   #8 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

I was at once stage putting water in the reservior tank ever 2 weeks, then it got to weekly, it was because the head on my old 3.9 was cracked and under pressure test it showed a drop in pressure which was put down to a cracked head. never lost power just lost stacks of water, oh and there was obvious traces of some moisture in the oil. incidently i changed my engine and it hasnt had a problem, It was put in, in september and i havent had to touch the fluids at all
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:58   #9 (permalink)
Dodgy EA

I run bore water (and coolant) in my EA, i drink bore water, i bathe in bore water .... i dont understand why people are so put off by it. It depends on the particular bore that the water is coming from. On another note my car is going through about 1.5 - 2 litres of water every 400km. Power is fine, no water in the oil, no water leaks .... the water just seems to dissapear. Can anyone tell me where it is going and what i need to replace/repair. Thanks
Old 12-30-2002, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

As i said in my last post, most of the reason I changed my engine was because the water was mysteriously dissapearing, if you pressure test your car it probably wont hold pressure, the most likely assumption was that in my case, there was a crack in the galleys that the water runs through in the head and was leaking water into engine itself, running at high temps, the water just passes out as exhaust gasses. so yeah. that was the most likely explanation i came up with
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons