I know I am going to cop it here for saying this, but..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2003, 21:21   #1 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

I know I am going to cop it here for saying this, but.....

Well I know this isnt going to go down well with a lot of you, but anyway, here goes. Late last friday, my TS50 blew the water pump, so my car was down for the weekend. But with Premium Assist and all that, it was picked up etc and I was given a loaner.
Well this is the part that people wont like, i was given a V8 XT BA Auto. Very nice car, does everything so easily and effortlessly, however it has no personality, I know its unfair to compare the TS to a XT, but this car (only had 3,500kms) just did everything so well, it didnt make driving fun, if you know what I mean. I know there is a difference when you get to the GT / GT-P (having driven a GT-P over a weekend), but boy, the XT did nothing to inspire me at all.
The other thing I wasnt wrapped in was the gearbox, sure it has the Manual select shift, but its slow in changing after you hit the stick, personally I would have the Tremac 5 speed anyday.

These are my opinions, interested in comments from others, please dont flame me too much, it is christmas you know.

Last edited by TS50; 12-22-2003 at 21:27. Reason: Cos I cant spell
TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 21:27   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: I know I am going to cop here, but.....

Hmmm, no surprises there, the XT is not meant to do any of the things you TS does.
A silly comparison really.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

Re: I know I am going to cop here, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
Hmmm, no surprises there, the XT is not meant to do any of the things you TS does.
A silly comparison really.

Rick.
Gee Thanx, but I wasnt really trying to compare the cars, If i wanted to compare cars, I would do that with the GT-P and the TS50. The point I was attemptingto make, is that the BA did things so easly, it took the fun away from driving, maybe I am spoilt in what I drive, but to me the car seemed to be without soul.
Also that was really the first long term test iI have had with the gearbox, and my preference would be for the real manual anyday.
Old 12-22-2003, 21:45   #4 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

Re: I know I am going to cop it here for saying this, but.....

I agree, the AU Fortes i drove, gave no confidence at all, and yes you need confidence in the car you ar driving, its just, how do i say it, its almost too nice
As I said, I know not many are goingto agree with me, but hey, its always fun to stir the pot a bit
Old 12-22-2003, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I just meant that the two cars are in a totally different market segment, so a comparion of any kind is just well, silly.

The XT is meant to be boring and uninspiring, if it was exciting and performance orientated, the 'lay people' of the world would complain that it's harsh, and to twitchy, and uses to much fuel, etc, etc.
We also would have no reason for XR8's and GT's.....

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 21:51   #6 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

hahaha, no offense was taken at all Rick, and i suppoose you are so right, if the cars were like what most members of the forum like to drive, the general public wouldnt. They like a car to go from point A to point B
I suppose thats why so many people modify there standard Fortes, XTs
Old 12-23-2003, 04:12   #7 (permalink)
RACE

Too a point you are correct TS50, and it really isn't meant to feel anything like a TS50, GT or anything of that nature. I'm happy with the XT V8 manual I'm driving because it is fun when it is punted hard. Maybe because it's a manual but either way it is an impressive car for what it is.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:58   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
Well this is the part that people wont like, i was given a V8 XT BA Auto. Very nice car, does everything so easily and effortlessly, however it has no personality, I know its unfair to compare the TS to a XT, but this car (only had 3,500kms) just did everything so well, it didnt make driving fun, if you know what I mean. I know there is a difference when you get to the GT / GT-P (having driven a GT-P over a weekend), but boy, the XT did nothing to inspire me at all.
You're obviously an old school V8 man. Haven't driven one myself but I always scratch my noodle when potential car buyers quote 'lack of engine refinement' when they test drive a V8, essentially what they're saying is that when they were sitting at the lights, the car shook.

When I buy a V8, I want it to shake, grunt and snort. I want the chassis to tilt when I give it a rev. I want those around me to think the world is coming to an end if I'm giving it a squirt! I'm Homer!! Oh I miss my XW.

The XT V8 is good as a sleeper tho.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 13:13   #9 (permalink)

Not everybody likes a snorting V8. BA XT V8 does its job well

I Like Steve Because Steves My Mate
I.L.SB 1
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 13:42   #10 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
Not everybody likes a snorting V8.
Sure they do !
100% of the people I surveyed this morning wanted a "snorting V8" !

Why else do you buy a Aussie car with V8 ?
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons