Ignition coil location problem solved - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2003, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Ignition coil location problem solved

Hey all, last friday I was taking Thanatos for a ride in the ol' crate and we were going down a backstreet near Rmyers' place when it just died. Turned out there was no spark. So I got my old man to tow it home, and as this exact same thing happened to Mrs. Goodz' EA, which turned out to be the dizzy shitting itself, I thought I would change the dizzy too without checking the coil. Lazy me.

Anyway, I changed the dizzy, and still no spark. So we checked the coil, and no spark. Luckily though I had a spare brand new coil in the garage. So we just plugged it in without mounting it just to make sure it worked, and what do you know, it started.

Now obviously I couldn't leave the coil there the way it was, so I put the crate up on the ramps, and removed the top bolt without too much difficulty. I then rolled under the car, and maneuovered my arms around the pipes and wiring and undid the bottom bolt. I removed the coil. Now the hard part.

Getting the new coil in there was a bit of a bitch. After I managed to get it into position, with one hand holding the coil, I tried placing the bottom bolt in place, and while doing so I dropped, and I never found it again. So I thought I'd just attach the top bolt. While I was under the car trying to hold the coil, my old man was looking into the engine bay trying to get the bolt in its hole. We couldn't line the bolt with its hole properly and so the bolt wouldn't go in. Then we dropped the bolt and couldn't find it.

This is where I had a brainwave idea, and I thought I'd mount the coil in a more accessible location. I decided it to attach it to one of the intake manifold bolts, and pull the wires up through the manifold and attach it that way. I needed a longer high tension lead so I bought one, and this is the end product. I had to lengthen the radio suppressor wire so I could get it up far enough and turn it around, but other than that its easy as buggery. Works perfectly, and I won't have problems changing it next time :)

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 21:16   #2 (permalink)
EFXR62

Re: Ignition coil location problem solved

Haha, looks very nice Alex, well done.

I remember changing my leads, what a bitch.
Old 12-19-2003, 23:37   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Thats a pretty good idea. Now just to relocate the dizzy! haha
Old 12-19-2003, 23:42   #4 (permalink)

hehehe love that rocker cover dude.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 00:30   #5 (permalink)

this mans full of ideas :)
looks like a good idea tooo
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 00:48   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

"Looks" dodge, but will make things alot easier, and I can't see any reason why it couldn't work...
Old 12-20-2003, 01:14   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

It works because it doesn't take the ground from the bracket, it gets it from the wiring loom. I'm gonna make a better bracket it for it later so it doesn't look so dodgy, but for now it'll do, it runs!

Alex
Old 12-20-2003, 01:27   #8 (permalink)
known as tibbo

not to be a downer but you should never put anything that sparks so close to something that carries fuel...seeming how you extended the connector you have done the hard part, anyhow we used to put them behind the top of the airbox on our ED's using the bolt hole for the airbox base and 1/2 the factory bracket.. that way when you steam clean the engine bay its a sinch to remove the coil before you start
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:02   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

The ignition coil is like right underneath the manifold and fuel rail anyway, I don't see the problem. There is no spark emitted there, the spark is transferred from there to the spark plugs, so its not an issue.

Alex
Old 12-20-2003, 02:13   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

and it will only spark if it gets a ground from something.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons