Improved Fuel Economy! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 08:57   #1 (permalink)
GUN.40L

Improved Fuel Economy!

a few days ago i changed the set up of my air box, i put the pod filter in the actual airbox, (sounds alot better then just a pod filter and improved a lil in performance, you can feel the car gulping the air down! haha) ANYWAYS! my cars fuel economy was shit, i would get 290-340km in a full tank and 16.5 L/100km, i cleaned out the throttle body while this was all off and reset the computer. I just did it expecting no change as i had already done this before but to my suprise it made a hell of alotta difference! i reset the trip comp so i havent really traveled enough to be able to say its accurate, (sits on 13.3L/100km, although the petrol needle is sitting exactly on half and i have done 270kms!!!!! i am extremely happy with this, it has been about 50 50 with highway and local driving :-D Clean out your throttle boddy people! :-P I want to use the fuel adattive although i am very cautious of this as it ruined the map sensor on my previous EA, it was CPI though. Should i be worried with the 4.0 MPI? Any recomendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Re: Improved Fuel Economy!

Maybe we should have a throttle-body cleaning day.. someone explained it on one of our cruises, and I still have no clue what to do
Old 07-19-2004, 16:12   #3 (permalink)
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

mmm sounds worth trying....
something to do on my lunch break =)
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 17:47   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I cleaned my throttle body back in the day. Made SFA difference for me, my fuel economy is still crap after changing heaps and heaps of stuff. I just ended up converting to gas

All you have to do is pull off the throttle body by disconnecting the wiring and induction hosing, then undo the 4 hex key bolts (or whatever they're called) and it'll slide straight off. Then pull the sensors off and soak the throttle body in carby cleaner, then wipe off and Bob's your uncle. While you're there you may as well clean the TPS, ISC and the plugs.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 18:04   #5 (permalink)

This sounds like a good idea, something for me to do today, yay!

How long should I soak it for?
mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:12   #6 (permalink)
wants a manual!

how does soaking alloy in carby cleaner make more economical? when i pulled my throttle body off to change the TFI all i did was wipe the excess oil off the inside but i dont see how it can make it run better, it wasnt restricting air flow. id say that resetting the ECU made a difference. how did you reset it?
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
GUN.40L

i didnt soak the throttle body in anything, hehe mis-understanding, i just got a good quality throttle body cleaner and sprayed it on and in the throttle body, i took off the hose where the airbox tube goes into the throtttle body and sprayed it there. to reset the ecu i just disconnected the battery for about an hour (which i have done numerous times before) i think it was the cleaning cause when the car started all this shit came outta the exhaust. its still doing ok on petrol, i have done local driving it sits on 1/4 now at 330kms, which is a vast improvement. the adattive i am talking about is the injector cleaner bottles, such as nulon injector cleaner you put in the fuel. Does anyone recommend a brand? or recommend putting this cleaner in at all?

cheers guys,
Old 01-08-2005, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSXR8
a few days ago i changed the set up of my air box, i put the pod filter in the actual airbox, (sounds alot better then just a pod filter and improved a lil in performance, you can feel the car gulping the air down! haha) ANYWAYS! my cars fuel economy was shit, i would get 290-340km in a full tank and 16.5 L/100km, i cleaned out the throttle body while this was all off and reset the computer. I just did it expecting no change as i had already done this before but to my suprise it made a hell of alotta difference! i reset the trip comp so i havent really traveled enough to be able to say its accurate, (sits on 13.3L/100km, although the petrol needle is sitting exactly on half and i have done 270kms!!!!! i am extremely happy with this, it has been about 50 50 with highway and local driving :-D Clean out your throttle boddy people! :-P I want to use the fuel adattive although i am very cautious of this as it ruined the map sensor on my previous EA, it was CPI though. Should i be worried with the 4.0 MPI? Any recomendations?
Thats good to hear. I have an EL, and suffer from the same fuel consumption figures as you. I too have reset computer, cleaned throttle body and changed plugs and leads.... i currently have a stock filter but i think i will definately try a pod filter now, cheers
Old 01-09-2005, 06:44   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
how does soaking alloy in carby cleaner make more economical? when i pulled my throttle body off to change the TFI all i did was wipe the excess oil off the inside but i dont see how it can make it run better, it wasnt restricting air flow. id say that resetting the ECU made a difference. how did you reset it?
It would make a difference to the air flow at cruising speed when the butterfly is only just open, depending on how much gunk is in there. It will also improve idle a little. I used to clean the T/B on my EL every 10000km and my car never missed a beat and I used to get 600km out of a tank on ULP.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 17:50   #10 (permalink)

What would be the advantage of a pod filter over a good quality flat panel one?
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons