OK fellas, I've posted this on LS1.com.au as well... That said, I'm pretty sure this is my first thread I've posted here, so be nice... lol.
I'm going shopping for an other car - my current XE wagon is dying (badly...). So, my father and I went looking at car dealers this morning. Was looking for either a HZ (or similar) ute, or a V6 commodore (HEATHEN, I hear you say...
). Budget was about 6-7 grand. We saw a few commodores (all auto, and I want/NEED :p a manual).
Then we saw an EB XR6 S-pack sedan (manual). The car yard wants $7k (but we'll probably offer them 6). The car has done ~240k km's (yeah, it's a fair few, I know, but it only has some light noise in the top end on start). I took it for a test drive, and it drove well (better than the XE :lol: ), only thing was it drifted left when the steering wheel was let go (more than the road camber alone would dictate, probably - I could feel the drag through the steering wheel). The other thing was that the gearbox didn't want to go into reverse (it was on a tilt, so that may be why), the shift (1-2-3) was pretty good (didn't get to 4th - only a quick drive down the street). The only other thing about the gearbox was that it crunched slightly after coming out of reverse into first.
Now the questions (finally):
- The gearbox - are these just symptoms of an old gearbox, or one that has been thrashed and wrecked?
- Is the top end noise anything to worry about? I've had some (a fair bit more than this) in my XE since I bought it (2 years ago), and now the engine is shagged. I know they're not related, but just thought I'd ask. It's a kind of ticking, if that helps.
- Is there anything that I should watch out for, or be wary of in these cars?
- The clutch - doesn't have any shudders as far as I can tell (again, only a short drive, so no decent launches to test it), but it does feel heavy, and lacks somewhat in feel - is this just the type of clutch in these cars, or is something wrecked? It just felt weird, that's all, not necessarily broken. It sorta reminded me of the clutch in a 'Cruiser...
- The car yard said that they don't want any RACQ certificates (cos it can put customers off buying a car, when they get a list of stuff on the report, even if it's not major, like wiper blades - which is fair enough, i guess), but they will allow independent inspections, so we're planning to take the car to "our" mechanic, to get him to have a look at it. Is there anything I should get him to check, specifically? Or is it just everything?
- This car has the Tickford engine (do they all?) Is there anything that I need to be wary about with them, or are they unkillable?
Anyway, sorry for the long post.
Thanks fellas. (and ladies, of course)