jg specials - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 13:06   #1 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

jg specials

to me the john goss special was a nice looking package only ford should have put the 351 in it, or at least made the 351 an option, with orange "351" stickers. i read somewhere that ford were originally going to call it the "moffat" special but goss won bathurst in '74, which i assume gave ford more advertising power by using his name. anyone know if this is correct?
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
Fatso

Re: jg specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak302
to me the john goss special was a nice looking package only ford should have put the 351 in it, or at least made the 351 an option, with orange "351" stickers. i read somewhere that ford were originally going to call it the "moffat" special but goss won bathurst in '74, which i assume gave ford more advertising power by using his name. anyone know if this is correct?
Agree re; JGS being a good looking ride. Given that GTs and GS were applenty with the 351, seems OK to me to produce a special with the 302 only. Gives it a uniqueness all it's own. Not sure about the "Moffat Special" story, although there were later Moffat Specials in the XC 4drs as discussed in another thread. Interestingly my "Moffat" car appears to have close to the same specs as the JGS and was produced around the time of the JGS.
Old 05-02-2004, 21:36   #3 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

351 JGSs would have been good, but they weren't built to compete with the GTs. They were a limited edition Falcon 500 built to draw attention to the XB hardtops like the Cobra was for the XC hardtops.

I've heard the Moffat/Goss rumour before & I'd say it's quite possible that the XBs would have been called Moffat Specials if he had won in 1974.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:29   #4 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i'm guessing but i would have thought moff would have a special before goss due to moff being a factory driver whereas goss was sponsored by mcleod. i've seen a few with white 12 slots, i always thought factory 12 slots were argent.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:55   #5 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak302
i'm guessing but i would have thought moff would have a special before goss due to moff being a factory driver whereas goss was sponsored by mcleod. i've seen a few with white 12 slots, i always thought factory 12 slots were argent.
One of the rumours about the JGSs is that McLeod's came up with the idea for the car, then Ford jumped on board.

JGSs have white 12 slotter wheels with chrome centres from the GS but without the chrome dress rim.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:02   #6 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

LOL that's the problem i can't find any exact information it's always hearsay. well i never knew about them white slotters, thanks yellow fire. do you have any press release photos? i found these the best way to get proper detail when i was rebuilding my xb gt.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Click HERE to read some reviews of the cars when they were released. They show a few pics of what they looked like from the factory.

There's still a lot of mysteries about these cars, but I'm trying to uncover some :)
Old 05-03-2004, 03:20   #8 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i am soooo dumb. it's at the bottom of your posts LOL. thanks, mate. i am trying to convince a friend of mine to restore his to original but he likes red paint...oh well LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons