Looking Ahead - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2003, 04:18   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Looking Ahead

Maybe it's a good time to start looking ahead to the next all new Falcon because it is undoubtedly on the drawing boards well and truly by now.

Are we expecting to continue the aged old platform or will we be forced into a shared platform with the US?

Does a vehicle the size of the Falcon even make sense any more in our overcrowded cities?

Or for that matter is a vehicle with the size, weight and fuel economy of the Falcon even an environmentally sound choice?

Given the performance of the T6 (with more to come) does a V8 option even make sense? Perhaps the Territory is actually a sign of things to come.

For that matter is an I6 even a sensible packaging option when the rest of the world is heading for compact V6 drivetrains?

It's not the harsh motoring environment it once was this country. You could cheerfully drive almost anything around it without leaving bitumen so perhaps the need for a big and rugged sedan is diminishing. Certainly the sales figures tell us that the segment is a dying one (and at a rapid rate) so where to for a Company that has built its entire business on (effectively) one platform?

Let the speculation begin.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2003, 04:25   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I believe that Ford looked at a shared platform before but gave it a miss. If they share a platform I reckon that we will lose the individuality that we have at the moment. Given the Americans lack of fullsize 4 door V8 vehicles I wonder what will become of the 5.4. I would like to think that we will have the V8 for a long time but we were told what was best for us before... a la the XF
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:28   #3 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

it'll be a very brave manufacturer (holden/ford) that drop the V8 first
we know what happened last time...
Old 06-01-2003, 04:37   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I can see were Ford are heading with the Territory,there has been a huge market growth in meduim 4x4 platform vechiles in the last couple of years, and with the falcon, well, like others I can only hope that Ford never stray from the design, By reading this post you upset me and all I could think about was the late 80's when Ford dropped the V8, please don't Tell me Russ that this post is a suttle way off telling us that you think it might happen again.Although I dont see ths happening with the arival of the GT. and as to our overpopulated citties most are imogrants and proberbly dont care about Ford or Holden V8's, just once again the meduim 4x4 and people movers.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:39   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I wuld be reely unhappy if the got ridd of the V8 again. I think that ford wer shown once thet not liztening to there cuztomerz bit them on the arse. I hope they lerned better. How long did it took to catch up to holdeN becauze holden liztened to there cuztromerz?
Old 06-01-2003, 04:43   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I think I see a man in need of some work on his spelling. However, would a shared platform really result in the death of the V8 ?? With a turbo six I wonder if the V8 is necessary?
What I do hope they do is put a freaking footrest in the things !
Old 06-01-2003, 05:08   #7 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

Geoff Polities admitted that the sedan is fading more and more out the door, but also said that there is always going to be the guys who love the performance of a sedan, and that he would be sticking with it. The territory is good, but how many people from this forum will buy one???? Ford and Holden in Australia are known for the big sedans and i don't think this will change anytime soon. I know for one i won't touch a 4x4 for road use for as long as i live, because they are unsafe. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about, the V8's and the T6's will be around for much much longer. The only question i have is ford going to go towards the V6 or not????????????
Old 06-01-2003, 05:16   #8 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally posted by XR6turbo
Geoff Polities admitted that the sedan is fading more and more out the door, but also said that there is always going to be the guys who love the performance of a sedan, and that he would be sticking with it. The territory is good, but how many people from this forum will buy one???? Ford and Holden in Australia are known for the big sedans and i don't think this will change anytime soon. I know for one i won't touch a 4x4 for road use for as long as i live, because they are unsafe. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about, the V8's and the T6's will be around for much much longer. The only question i have is ford going to go towards the V6 or not????????????
What exactly do you mean by 4x4's are not safe, the cars themself are very safe it's the design of certain bullbar's etc that are not and only to the view of a pedestrian,but late model 4x4's are just as safe as a late model Falcon,be honest now.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:49   #9 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Quote:
Originally posted by galaxy xr8
I........and as to our overpopulated citties most are imogrants and proberbly dont care about Ford or Holden V8's,...........
And most of them probably write english better than that! I don't know if you were having a go at immigrants, but my family were immigrants 4 generations ago. And most of them drive 6 or 8 cylinder vehicles! (Ford, mostly).

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:49   #10 (permalink)

Take a look at crash test data on 4x4s and they are not that safe.

As for bullbars somebody should wrap harold scruby around one.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons