Looking at getting a EL/AU Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 03:37   #1 (permalink)

Looking at getting a EL/AU Falcon

I'm considering selling my current car (for around $7500) and buying either an EL or AU falcon. My question is can I get an EL/AU falcon in decent condition for, say less than $9000 ? Also what are the chances of picking up a manual? (Family currently has 2 EF andI can't stand the automatic).

Which falcons come with LSD and how much would it cost to get a LSD for an, say EL falcon?

I would really like to find a manual version of the car but that's going to be extremely hard I think.

Any opinions?
fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 03:56   #2 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

Re: Looking at getting a EL/AU Falcon

mate get the el much nicer car looks great and my opion but again all depends on each car the el goes nicer to
libbys_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:59   #3 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

get the el find an ea with a manual wak that in fairly easy i think it cost one of my mate about $1200 box and installed into his ef so not much different gee it went hard
libbys_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:49   #4 (permalink)
habib

try www.fowles.com.au when i went ef-el's were going 4 no more then $5000 and were im good shape
freddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 14:35   #5 (permalink)

I just picked up an '97' EL from Etheridge ford in Ringwood for $9780, Auto, and only 174,000 km on it for my wife so she has her own car, a few miner scratches and only 1 spot of rust on the right hand side of the boot lid that is being fixed ($200 at the panel shop), cant wait to get my hands on it to start playing with it ! - cold air intake, BMC panel filter or may put in the BA pod filter set up, peders suspention upgrade, and a decent set of headers and exhaust.

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 14:50   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbys_xf
mate get the el much nicer car looks great and my opion but again all depends on each car the el goes nicer to
lol, yeah right, drive an EL and then an AU and tell me which one is the better car. No contest.

Anyhow, it is unlikely you will find a decent AU for $9000, possible but unlikely.
It is going to be near on impossible to find one for $9000 that is a manual. The vast majority of AU manuals were in the XR's and they still go for well into $15000.
Same applies for the LSD factory cars, basically your looking at the XR's again. To fit one to a non LSD car depends on if you change the ratios etc to go with it but it will be around $1000 give or take...it really depends on if its new or used, fitted for you or a home job.

The EL's were a good car, you'll probably find one close to $9000 if you shop hard and are lucky...but I doubt you'll find a manual.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 19:48   #7 (permalink)
- Fairlane By Tickford -

Go the EL, looks HELL better and value for money is un-beatable thesedays!
Also theres more chance finding one with what you want at the auctions for that price rather than an AU, lol.
El 'vs' Au is quite a personal thing, ive driven both and i think in stock form au is better, once mods come into it el is better - depends what your looking for imho.
My personal pref is the only AU's id touch are T series, TL50 was one sexy pimpmobile hehe.
Fairlane By Tickford #4 of 106 - FOR SALE
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 20:04   #8 (permalink)
known as tibbo

For that money I'd be looking at an EL. Unless you can stretch the budget and get a series 2 AU forget about the AU..
The series one AU's are IMO worse quality than EL's. S1 AU seem to age faster, the dash squeaks, the carpet is crappy. The grille fades, the front end rattles and the power windows go alittle odd.. All little things but each is enough to annoy you
As Casper said if you want the go fast goodies and manual trans you will be looking into XR territory

A diff exchange for LSD and ratio upgradefor both models is around the $1200 same as a professional manual conversion... The running gear is 99% the same so tweaks and modifications will run around the same $$ either way
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 20:36   #9 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I have a manual AU for sale.
FS in NSW: 99 White Falcon S

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

The series one AU's are IMO worse quality than EL's. S1 AU seem to age faster, the dash squeaks, the carpet is crappy. The grille fades, the front end rattles and the power windows go alittle odd.. All little things but each is enough to annoy you

Can't say I've come across any of those probs in mine.

Based on buying a base model, aesthetically you can't beat the EL. Finding an AU for your budget will be a stretch.

I'd def lean towards an EL on that budget.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons