LOOKING AT USED FORDS THIS WEEKEND - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 09:10   #1 (permalink)
sickartist

LOOKING AT USED FORDS THIS WEEKEND

The time has come to receive my destiny.
I'm checking out my local used ford dealer this weekend!

I need a fairly new (approx '95 onwards) car that can get me to uni and work throughout the week (probably an auto then), turn some heads, pull some good performance on the weekend, have good economy and be good to root in!

Be good to get rid of my laser and hop into a falcon (no idea which model I wanna get though.) Any ideas/comments on what I should look out for?

As a side note, what other cars has ford got that could suit my application? I aint fond of the newer lasers, definelty not a festiva or KA hahahah, and mondeos aint that great either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2002, 09:13   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Well apparently the Taurus isn't too reliable and mightn't be your style anyway, so Falcon is good.

My personal favourite is the EF II Ghia, but my advice is to try and get anything bar the GLi so you'll have safety features like ABS. The actual model you could get would depend on the price range.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:19   #3 (permalink)
sickartist

Basically, with the money I have, and with some loans from family, I am looking to buy a used ford for around $12,000-$15,000.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:21   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I'd am for something like an XR6 or Ghia, but the other models are good. You might even find an NF Fairlane...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:54   #5 (permalink)
AcidBurns

could almost get a runout AU for that much, if you shop carefully... :)
Old 04-12-2002, 13:20   #6 (permalink)
anitgravity

re.

Other than a new model falcon and/or xr, with that kind of money, you could go a late model telstar tx5, say a '95, '96 model.

Chuck some mags on it, and you'll turn heads, and these things are suprisingly fast. Great interior, you can get them in either manual or auto, power windows, cruise control, airbags 2.5ltr V6.

This car is identical to a Mazda 626 of the same time, apart from a couple of aesthetic differences, but man, I love these cars. I was going to buy one, but then I got given a EA fairmont from my parents, so I'm doing that up a little.

Neways, with the Telstar you'll get minimal technical/build quality problems with it being the last of the series/model. The Telstar was discontinued in '96 due to ford wanting to globalise the use of the mondeo.

You'll get great fuel economy/performance ratio, considering the 2.5 litre V6. This thing produces around 120kw, but weighs around 1250kg, and does a 0-100 in around 8 to 8.5 seconds even with an auto. It basically keeps up with XR6 from the same era, but it's something different.

It's comfortable, it's got all the standard features of a mid-luxury car, performance of an XR6, it's something different, so you'll turn heads, if u do it up right, and you'll still be driving a ford (so to speak!)

The only problem is the front wheel drive. If this car was a rear wheel drive, it would kick arse.. much like the magna....

NEway, Hope I was of some help..

Dave
Old 04-12-2002, 16:27   #7 (permalink)
Ford Anti B&S Squad

Buying the right one

I am myself looking for a car in the $10,000 to $15,000 and have founf lots to choose from. I have narrowed my choice down to a few cars based on, reliabiliy, price, safety, performance, looks and what mods i can do to it.
The car i really want is a EF or ED XR6. For $11,000 to $15,000 you can get a good EDXR6 or EFXR6. The only thing i am not sure about is the difference beetween the models like engine and gearbox and how i can mod them. Also the difference between a series 1 and 2 EFXR6.
You might also look at VR VS Commadores as they are both great cars and are going for bargain prices at the moment cause the market is flooded with them.
EA90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 17:21   #8 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Re: Buying the right one

i'm also in your guy's situation, when i sell my car i'll have between $13,000 and $15,000 to spend on a new car. The way i've chosen to go is to get a car dealer guy i know to track me down an EF 5 speed from the auctions (he reckons i'll get one between $5,000 and $9,000) and then i'm going to spend the rest of the money doing it up. I'm hoping to spend at least $5,000 on the engine so it should go pretty hard.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 22:04   #9 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

hey dude

with $11,000 to $15,000

i would try to get an EF or EL XR6 or maybe XR8 if u r lucky :D
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 22:27   #10 (permalink)
dimebag

fawk, with 15 grand....sheeeeit!!!!! i would buy a pontiac trans am...oooooh yeah rock on!! night rider!!!! i love those cars....!!!! hehehe, or i would just buy a vs, they are good. or hey, an eb, for 6grand, and spend the rest making it look fuggen siiiiik.

that is my useless input. dimeabolics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons