Ford Forums banner

Looks like you have a new member

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  EFFalcon 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have finally bought myself a 1996 EF II Fairmont Ghia. It is dark blue and has all the Tickford bits which is mainly why I bought it. (along with comfort) I bought it from a car yard for $12,990 which included a 3 year warranty. It has done 190,000kms which I know is high but hell for my age (19) it is worth it as the leather and interior is in pretty good nick.

What can I say but wow. What a pleasure to drive. Excellent ride and very smooth power delivery. There is obviously a few horses under that bonnet because once it is past 1500RPM it files! No other word for it. Endless power that just pushes you into the leather. Very easy to be caught out doing 70 before you know it. Thank christ for the beeper thingy that tells you off for speeding. (I set mine at 64)

I am just so impressed with the layout of the dash. Everything is at your fingertips and pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. I was suprised at how easily it gets going even in "economy" mode and in drive. You don't have to have it in first and ring its neck to get going. It just surges along. I hate to think how fast an XR6T or a GT would be!

Thanks mainly to you people for helping me with all my questions and providing advice about what car to buy, becuase it really helped. Before I came to this forum I didn't know that Series II EF's (Ghias) and onwards had the Tickford engine etc. Thank you for steering me towards a wonderful, wonderful car. This really is one hell of a piece of machinery.

It is the little things that get me like the lights dimming after a minute or so inside the cabin when you have armed the door locks. They could have just gone out like a switch but Ford make them dim slowly until they are completely out. Pure class.

Sorry about the excited rambling but as you probably can understand this is my first 'real' car and I am damn happy with it.

Cheers
:D ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the car.

I'll vouch for how good late e series are to drive, I love our NL Fairlane and boy does she go. And I haven't even put it in power mode yet.

Hopefully the AU wagon that's replacing our Magna is just as good, if not better.

#4 ·
You really reckon that it is a good deal? I thought the k's may have been the reason for the price. I don't mind that k's though. I agree it goes hard enough without mods!! Imagine what it could do with some better breathing and some head modifications.

Gotta pay the damn thing off first! :(

#5 ·
We have been looking for cars as well. Last week in Sydney we came across a 96 Fairmont Ghia in a Burgandy colour, tan interior ands 112,000 K's and it was going for 11,990.

We have found a big price difference beween cars.
Australian Fleet sales, the place that Daryl Eastalke used to advertise for were a rip. An 97 EL 194,000 K Futura, it looked ok and they wanted 17,990 for it. He offered us 12,990 change over on our 93 EB with 10,000K more. Yeah right, it's amzing how they tell you to look past the K's until they see how many are on your trade in.

#6 ·
66_mustang:

I saw a White 1996 Gli with 120,000kms on the clock for $14990 at one car yard and 2 minutes down the road there was a 1995 Red XR6 with around the same kays for $14990. How the hell can they justify the asking price for the Gli. It wasnt that special really. I have also seen Fairmont Ghias for up to $22k! Simply because of low Kms. What the??

#7 ·
good purchase mate, another EF II in the club :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.