Re: loose clunking rear wheel
Originally Posted by biggiemomo
ok got it checked out...
It was a collapsed wheel bearing on the rear drives side wheel.
Asked the dealer how it could happen and he didn't have an answer...apprently they are meant to last the life of the car.
Also got some comments about how it had welded to the hub and a 5 ton press almost buckled to try and prise it out....and someone almost lost a finger.....so they finally got it out and bent the backing plate on the disc...had to hammer that back into shape...the car is back in the workshop for its 2nd day to have the hand brake reset aswell.
Anyone know what would cause a wheel bearing to collapse?
$440 later....damn cars.
Could be a number of reasons
1) Stub nut too loose.
2) Stub nut too tight.
3) Seal failure- foreign crap enters.
4) lack of, or no lubrication.
5) Defective bearings (I've seen batches of bearings with balls that have not been hardened- at all!!!)
6) Combinations of unbalanced wheels, stiff suspension, heavy loads, etc etc.
7) Bearing seats machined oversize during production.
I could go on......
I think you were just unlucky.
BA XR8. Blood Orange, auto (unfortunately), premium sound, Cat-back stainless Quad exhaust, K&N Filter, front grille kit, Poly-Air rear springs @ 10psi, SS Cold Air Intake.
VTR1000F Bike (0-100 in 2.5 seconds)
XH ute. 5 speed, dual fuel.