The low down on BA SS operation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2004, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

confused The low down on BA SS operation

OK, I would like to know from people who OWN a BA or can say 100% for sure how the BA SS really works in regards to the below.

Here is my understanding of it:

1. When you flick from normal mode to BA SS mode it latches at the gear you are in (i.e. if gearbox is in 2nd, BA SS mode starts in 2nd and you adjust from there, up or down)

2. The gear chosen when in BA SS mode is what the gearbox stays in (If I am doing 40 (or any speed) in 2nd and floor it, it does not kick back to 1st gear)

3. Point 2 being correct, if I am in 2nd and doing 40 under heavy acceleration, and choose 3rd it goes to 3rd immediately (not when it wants) and same deal will not kick back if put pedal to the metal.

Also a Question (based on above being correct)
- If I am in 3rd gear and stop at the lights, does it take off in 3rd gear, or go via 1st and 2nd gear to any degree.

PLEASE post up what you have learned giving your BA some stick, as I wish to make the BA SS I have installed in my EA as close to the BA setup as is possible without building a whole brand new trans computer.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2004, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Re: The low down on BA SS operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
1. When you flick from normal mode to BA SS mode it latches at the gear you are in (i.e. if gearbox is in 2nd, BA SS mode starts in 2nd and you adjust from there, up or down)
Don't know

Quote:
2. The gear chosen when in BA SS mode is what the gearbox stays in (If I am doing 40 (or any speed) in 2nd and floor it, it does not kick back to 1st gear)
Correct

Quote:
3. Point 2 being correct, if I am in 2nd and doing 40 under heavy acceleration, and choose 3rd it goes to 3rd immediately (not when it wants) and same deal will not kick back if put pedal to the metal.
Correct re kick down. Still takes a little time on the upchange though (it's not immediate, unless you are on the rev limiter)

Quote:
- If I am in 3rd gear and stop at the lights, does it take off in 3rd gear, or go via 1st and 2nd gear to any degree.
The gearbox automatically changes down to second, then first when travelling at less than 40 and coming to a stop/slowing. It then holds that gear until you change it up manually.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 17:32   #3 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

Quote:
OK, I would like to know from people who OWN a BA or can say 100% for sure how the BA SS really works in regards to the below.

Here is my understanding of it:

PLEASE post up what you have learned giving your BA some stick, as I wish to make the BA SS I have installed in my EA as close to the BA setup as is possible without building a whole brand new trans computer.
1. When you go across to Perf Mode the transmission remains in the current gear until it reaches a "Perf Mode" shift point.
2. It will stay in the choosen gear, it will even labour if you let it.
3. It will not kick back.

The trans always returns to 1st at about 5-10 km/h. This is an excellent feature, I often roll into the lights in 2nd and forget to choose 1st and the transmission has done it for me.
Old 12-08-2004, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6na
1. When you go across to Perf Mode the transmission remains in the current gear until it reaches a "Perf Mode" shift point.
I thought if it was say in 2nd you change across to perf mode, it would then hold 2nd geear and bounce around at the rev limiter, till you shift forward a gear.

Quote:
2. It will stay in the choosen gear, it will even labour if you let it.
3. It will not kick back.
Mine doesnt change up, so it does hold the gear, but it will kick back.

Quote:
The trans always returns to 1st at about 5-10 km/h. This is an excellent feature, I often roll into the lights in 2nd and forget to choose 1st and the transmission has done it for me.
Mine does change back down the gears, but I may still have 3rd selected in Perf mode, it would then go through the gears up to 3rd from a stop when and how it feels like it.
So I need it to check for what speed car is doing and have it kick back down accordingly, and make that gear the one selected.

Thanks for the info so far, nayone else got comments to add.

Old 12-08-2004, 18:33   #5 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

Quote:
I thought if it was say in 2nd you change across to perf mode, it would then hold 2nd geear and bounce around at the rev limiter, till you shift forward a gear.
In perf mode it is similar to the old power mode, it will both change up and down but at revised shift points and it will not select 4th gear until you reach some huge speed (around 150 km/h I think).
Old 12-08-2004, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Hi Dellboy999,

Firstly, congrats on the installation.

In response to the above point, it depends. If travelling at 100km/h in "normal" Adaptive Mode you will be doing about 2000rpm in 4th. Flick across into Perf Mode and it will downshift to 3rd at about 3000rpm. The whole idea of the Perf Mode is to keep the vehicle at higher revs in each gear so the vehicle is more keen and closer to the top end rather than wallowing in the softer bottom end of the range, esp in a Boss equipped vehicle. Boss engines tend to really hit their stride at 3500-4000rpm so the Perf Mode keeps you closer to this.

As for your question about Manual shift direction, I like it how it is.

Please see attached the full description of SSS operation from my BA Ute Manual (same issued to all Utes). These images have been grabbed from the PDF version available when you register with www.myford.com.au.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: gif SSS page 1.gif (32.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: gif SSS page 2.gif (43.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: gif SSS page 3.gif (47.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: gif SSS page 4.gif (43.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: gif SSS page 5.gif (38.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: gif SSS page 6.gif (49.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-08-2004, 19:24   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Hey thanks for that madder, so it does kick down, just maybe not as readily as my gearbox does.

Old 12-08-2004, 21:06   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

They say it has 3 modes:
- Adaptive Automatic Mode
- Perfromance Automitve Mode
- Manual Mode

But its not clear on how to get into each mode.

I am guessing that:
- Adaptive Automatic Mode = Drive position (econ on my car)
- Perfromance Automitve Mode = Flickng the gear shift across (3rd in BA and currently 4th in my car)
- Manual Mode = As soon as you flick it up or down a gear, you are now in manual mode and that is that.

Old 12-08-2004, 22:42   #9 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
They say it has 3 modes:
- Adaptive Automatic Mode
- Perfromance Automitve Mode
- Manual Mode

But its not clear on how to get into each mode.

I am guessing that:
- Adaptive Automatic Mode = Drive position (econ on my car)
- Perfromance Automitve Mode = Flickng the gear shift across (3rd in BA and currently 4th in my car)
- Manual Mode = As soon as you flick it up or down a gear, you are now in manual mode and that is that.
Correct.

Note that the "normal" mode, adaptive, which matches econ on your car, learns from driving behaviour. "Spirited" driving results in the box behaving differently to more sedate driving. I drive in this mode pretty much all the time as I'm happy with what it has learnt and I find the fuel costs climb when in any other mode. There's nothing better than taking a corner, straightening up and then flooring it for kickdown. When it does finally engage the gear the thing just launches with an addictive push in the back all the way to the speed limit.
Old 12-08-2004, 22:50   #10 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

Quote:
Hey thanks for that madder, so it does kick down, just maybe not as readily as my gearbox does.
The only kickdown is when you are in adaptive mode 4th gear and you slot it over to performance, it will go back to 3rd and not change to 4th until around 150km/h.
You can go into SS mode and put in into 4th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons