Lowering without changing suspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 14:58   #1 (permalink)
Buff XC

Lowering without changing suspension

I have just had the XC lowered 30mm all round, and it handles sweet and still has plentiful suspension travel, but.....It looks like the typical front end higher than the back XC (except lower).

I want the front to be an additional 10-15mm lower, but maintain the current suspension travel. I remember hearing something about changing the position of the wheel studs/rotor etc. (what ever it is called???) through modification so the car is effectively lower.

I really know nothing in this area some some help would be much appreciated.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 20:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lowering without changing suspension

I have heard of relocating where the upper control arm bolts through the shocker tower which effictively changes the position of the stub axle, which I think is what you are talking about.

You are probably better off getting either your front or rear springs reset to be the right height. It should not effect the suspension travel, just check that there is enough room for your shockers to move before they hit the top.
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 20:54   #3 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

If you have just had it done what until the springs settleand see where it sits, you then have a fair idea what you need to do.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 21:06   #4 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Pilch and LukeGT,

Sounds like you were refering to the shelby mod as done to mustangs. Have a look at these links for further info:
http://www.ftw.com.au/content/view/152/50/
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/T...usp/susp1.html
Old 12-09-2004, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Buff XC

I don't wanna reset my springs because I do hit some heavy bumps that need fair suspension travel, and it is a daily driver. LukeGT, the shocker tower is at the top of the coil spring, I'm thinking of a mod down near the stubb axle. Moving the upper control arm would effectively reduce clearance to the bump stop???, which is what i'm trying to avoid.

Only done thursday morning John, so while it may settle a bit, I doubt the front will drop and the rear won't.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Old 12-09-2004, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

castlemain rod shop do a drop spindle, which sounds like what you want. either that or shop around for shorter front springs, like k-mac will do customised springs if the over the counter ones don't suit you. if the bump stop is the prob, buy a shortened one or cut the original one in half. shockies arn't a problem either, pedders do a short bodied one for shorter springs.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

They're called Dropped Spindles. They raise the position of the spindle on the hub. I'm not sure if anyone makes them to fit XC Falcons and I wouldn't know where to buy them, but they are very cool. They do not affect your suspension travel and they don't change your steering geometry.

Edit- D'oh, beaten to it
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 21:40   #8 (permalink)
Buff XC

Had a read over the Shelby mod. Sounds great, but once again reduces travel to the bump stop, thanks anyway EBXR it was very educational!

does anyone else know of other ways of lowering the car without changing suspension travel???
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Old 12-09-2004, 21:48   #9 (permalink)
Buff XC

Dropped Spindles. That sounds spot on what i'm after!!! Now I know what they're called I'll be able to enquire about 'em without talking jibberish.

I'll try CRS and see if they have 'em

Thanks guys.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Old 12-09-2004, 21:53   #10 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Do you run a sump guard Pilch??
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons