Lowering the XW - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2003, 00:47   #1 (permalink)

Lowering the XW

If I had to lower my everyday car - adjustable platform springs and adjustable shocks and Bob's your uncle. But leaf springs? OK, lowering blocks and adjustable shocks? What size blocks and how low will it take it? Is it more preferrable to have properly lowered springs? How do I ensure I match the front for height with the rear?
Can you post the wheel/tyre combo and how much you lowered your Falcon and how

Cheers all.

Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes the statue.

tag141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 06:03   #2 (permalink)

When I first got the coupe she was lowerd to the nuts, this was done with 25mm lowering blocks in the back and 6cylinder springs in the front.(about 2inch's lower than std)

this was not an ideal setup at all, so out came the blocks and 6cylinder springs and in with some nice King springs, this rasied the hight back up about an inch, but the rear springs never recoverd from having the blocks in them and now need replacing..

so if i where you i'd get it done proper with the right springs, it's worth it in the long run....

e.g
p.s i have 16" auscar alloys and off the top of my head i think the profile of the tyres are 50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image07.jpg (42.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg xbrightside.jpg (18.5 KB, 24 views)

Lest we forget: XB GS fairmont Coupe, 351c - 4sp toploader...... oh how i miss her...

Last edited by XBCoupe2Boot; 09-25-2003 at 06:07.
XBCoupe2Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 19:23   #3 (permalink)
walking power

Re: Lowering the XW

Heres my XW before i stripped it, its not the best pic because the front actually looks a bit higher than it is but it will give you an idea.

Here it has king springs at the front and the back leafs are reset so that on a level surface my sill panel sits the same distance off the ground right through.

Dont be fooled by the line running thru the middle of the car this can give the impression that you back end sits lower than the front but that isnt the case.

Dont get lowering block they arent worth it and with the springs being reset you can get any height you want.

Oh yeah the wheels and tyres are 14x8 and 14x7 with 265/50 and 225/50.

But with the same suspension i've had 15x8 and 15x7 with 225/50 all round.

Last edited by Fordy; 09-29-2003 at 19:29.
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:49   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Yeah I agree with the other's dont get lowering block's for the leaf's,reset them, I lowered mine and it to sit's level, not to low just right.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:37   #5 (permalink)

Lowering blocks are the quickest way to kiss your arse goodbye in a powerful car!
Old 09-30-2003, 17:50   #6 (permalink)

Fordy, The car looks great. Hope my XW Fairmont comes out as good as that. I'm trying to redo the suspension in mine as well. I'm thinking of going 2" in the rear with King springs in the front and 15" rims. I've been told to change the front upper stabiliser arms to a later model XC stabiliser cause they had a better ball joint set up, due to disc brakes. Mine, being a fairmont, already has disk front end. Any ideas and will 2" set the car toooo low.
XW PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 17:58   #7 (permalink)
walking power

Just remember thats my car about 4 years ago if you want to see what it looks like now go here http://members.iinet.net.au/~gtgraff/.

I couldnt tell you if 2" is too low cos i didnt measure mine but i do know the gap was pretty big and when i had the 15's on it the tyre sat level with the top of the guard. Like i said before you want your sill panel to sit level with the road.
Old 09-30-2003, 20:55   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupe2Boot
When I first got the coupe she was lowerd to the nuts, this was done with 25mm lowering blocks in the back and 6cylinder springs in the front.(about 2inch's lower than std)

this was not an ideal setup at all, so out came the blocks and 6cylinder springs and in with some nice King springs, this rasied the hight back up about an inch, but the rear springs never recoverd from having the blocks in them and now need replacing..

so if i where you i'd get it done proper with the right springs, it's worth it in the long run....

e.g
p.s i have 16" auscar alloys and off the top of my head i think the profile of the tyres are 50
Nice Coupe !
I had one many years ago and it always looked like it had a droopy rear end. Mine was a low Km example and only 5 years old when I got it so I suspect they either had weak rear springs or they were that way from new.
Regds,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons