Ford Forums banner

Luke's auto swap - Blood, Sweat and Tears - Literally !!

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  John_xr6 
#1 ·
Well I spent my Sunday changing the Auto trans in Lukes car, reason for change is 2nd gear was stuffed in his old Trans, so he got one form the wreckers with thanks to the help of Mick (InitialD) and John (John_Xr6), and it looks in pretty good nick, I didnt get to see how it drove as it was 10.30pm or so when I left and was looking forward to getting home, cleaned up, and getting some sleep.

Blood - Luke managed to cut his hand, and did a damn fine job, about 4 stitches in the top of it (will let him post more) he is OK :angel: , but he did this at about 12 or so, and took 2 hours out of my schedule getting stitched up and waiting for the blood to slow, AND then slowed me down the rest of the day due to his injury :fraz: , but he is OK thats all that matters.

Sweat - It was a damn hot day, and spending most of the afternoon working by myself due to luke's injury, Luke put in a fair effort still being injured and all and was still a great help I must say (what a trooper)

Tears - Thats what I was getting very close to at about 8.30 pm trying to undo the tailshaft bolts (hate them, hate them, hate them!!), so it could be slotted back into the gearbox, but finally got them undone, and tailshaft back in, with everything bolted up checked, tightened, filled and ready for testing, it was 10.30pm so I was out of there.

So Luke I hope it ran ok, and will leave it to you to elaborate on your injury story :bsr:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ouch 4 stitches. Sounds like you've got a bit of patience Jason. I tend to shout, swear and throw and destroy things within reach. Tailshaft bolts I found if you use a ring spanner with an offset end turned around they don't slip off nearly as much. Strange they were tight again wasn't there problems getting it off last time it was worked on?

#4 ·
Well when I spoke to luke last night, apparently the Auto Works perfectly which is good. But Damn that must have hurt, i took the top off one of my fingers the other week taking springs out a pickapart. Luke and I should stay away from our cars lol :p

#5 ·
NZ said:
Ouch 4 stitches. Sounds like you've got a bit of patience Jason. I tend to shout, swear and throw and destroy things within reach. Tailshaft bolts I found if you use a ring spanner with an offset end turned around they don't slip off nearly as much. Strange they were tight again wasn't there problems getting it off last time it was worked on?
Yes patience, i have lots of it, if it was my car i would have kicked it :angel: ... LOL, yeah the tail shaft bolts were damn tight seeing as they HAD been undone before wich took 2 people like 3 hours to do :fraz:

#6 ·
Top work boys. Is Luke gunna be at Timezone today to give me a discount? ;)

You wanna do a 5 speed conversion soon Jason ;)

Sundeep

#7 ·
Sundeep said:
Top work boys. Is Luke gunna be at Timezone today to give me a discount? ;)

You wanna do a 5 speed conversion soon Jason ;)

Sundeep
Well I have Micks engine swap booked in, Jack i think still needs help, when you looking at needing a hand.

#8 ·
Sorry to learn of Luke's injury, hope it heals quickly. Hope you guys were ok with the crane at least.

So much for your 6 PM appointment Jase. :p

PS yes I still need help, look out for a seperate thread on the matter. :eek:hman:

#9 ·
Well due to missing that, and a few other things, I am now stuck between making the GOR cruise and helping out family with house building at Tarwin on the Sunday, will wait and see.

#10 ·
Good work Jason, i admire you're determination :)
Good to hear the trans is working all good, another tick for lukes car causing hassles again ;)
hope that injury heals quick Luke!

#11 ·
Lukes gonna have some fun driving on GOR

#12 ·
EFFalcon said:
Good work Jason, i admire you're determination :)
Good to hear the trans is working all good, another tick for lukes car causing hassles again ;)
hope that injury heals quick Luke!
Yeah my determination is what gets me into the most trouble with my lovely wife, I like to try and see something thats started through tills its finished.

#13 ·
Hahah! Ahhhh what a bloody day.

"Falcon Nightmare"

Well, I must first thank John and Mick again for their perseverance in finding a good auto, and getting the bugger out. It looks like a recent reco as the torque converter looked mint. Not bad for $120 ;)

Again, I owe the biggest thanks to Jason for his wizardry on my car. I don't know how he does it, but he sure does get it done!! I've learnt a shit-load too, so another bonus there. The auto is a bloody ripper - I don't remember the BTR being so smooth :p

As for the injury, it was just a bit of bad luck. I was persisting in getting my oil pressure switch out to replace with a sender... Some of you would know what a hassle it is... Anyway, the engine and trans were out of the car, Jason was attempting to undo some bolts on the flex plate cover or something and on the other side I was trying everything I could.

So I attempted undoing a bolt on one of the manifold brackets that was tight as BUGGERY! Using all my force I cracked it off, slammed my hand into something and it literally spurted out blood and pissed out on the ground. It happened so quick, I was like, "oh shit!" and Jason immediately was up (he'd been through similar situations) and knew to go straight to the doctor. So thanks again for being an ambulance/paramedic for the day too LOL!

A few shots of adrenalin and local anaesthetic, added with five stitches or so, and here I am!! Feeling like a damn cripple :p But for what it's worth, I don't mind as long as my auto is in good shape! Cut me down to the bone, but 'tis okay :thup: Chalk up another injury for my car... It's all about dramas that stupid thing!!

Thanks once again Jason [Dellboy999] (and also for getting in trouble from wifey again :p), John [john_xr6] and Mick [initialD] for all your help! :bsr:

#14 ·
Good to hear that you're ok and the car is ok too.
Did you end up getting the sender unit changed? I remember that as being the biggest prick of a job... ended up buying a 1-inch socket just to get the bugger out.
$120 for an auto? Makes me wonder why I'm putting up with the dodgy thing that's in my car!

#15 ·
i hate the oil pressure sender..
mines still not working :eek:

sounds like the car is more important then ur health luke... WAY TO GO!

#19 ·
The auto is a bloody ripper - I don't remember the BTR being so smooth :p
The funny thing is that it came out of a ED TAXI! The whole car looked like someone had been rebuilding it since it had new discs, pads, steering, wiring, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.