Ford Forums banner

Manual conversion underway :(

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  STOKEB 
#1 · (Edited)
A wrecking yard was selling the full conversion reconditioned box, flywheel, clutch, pedle box all the other stuff and manual computer for $695. I was stupid enough to buy it and decide to do the conversion. My dad has done this sort of stuff on trucks before so i was lucky and i got the guide from the forums. All i can say is this is so dam hard. What evil demon designed my ea the bolts on the shroude are impossible to remove and my dad ended up getting stuck with that job ;) Its just insanity we got the 4spd out like 4hrs later and cleaned up from all the oil. The cluclth plate, flywheel and spigot baring are in there now aligned. The 5spd isnt in yet and the pedle box is yet to come iv heard the hole dash has to come out for that :( I luckly got a very good box and everything in good condition so its going really well but just so hard. Lets hope its all worth it when its over wish me luck for tommrow !

#2 ·
it always takes longer than you think.. i do hope you got a good box, I wouldnt buy a second hand box simply because i'd hate to have to pull it out again to replace it.

#3 ·
ohhh all this is starting to scare me away from the 5spd conversion i have planned for october/november

#4 ·
dont worry too much about it.... it will be worth it all in the end.... manuals are soo much fun!!! you'll love it!!! i just hope u got a good box, cause wreckers can be dodgy and sometimes only do half of what they sed they did... :nonono: anyways good luck tommoro... let us know how ya go!!! :s6:

#7 ·
yeah I did too! just a thought, just pull EVERYTHING out! don't try to force anything cause it won't go and you'll end up breaking something.... it took me 3 hours to get the bloody thing in!!(by myself) oh yeah, I took the drivers seat out too, gives you heaps more room to move.

Thanks
Craig

#8 ·
ah you are all sooks :s6:

it only takes 2 hours to replace a clutch in a falcon, and a couple more to do a pedal box...

i have heard that its possible to replace the pedal box without removing the dash, just remove the steering column and possibly the handbrake instead.

#10 ·
hey all you I6 users, put this in your sig (like me Supa Roo and some others have)

Proud TQE Operator[FONT] [COLOR]

but put a '/' before the second 'B' 'FONT' 'COLOR' and 'CENTER' so that it works.​

#13 ·
Rollin said:
hey all you I6 users, put this in your sig (like me Supa Roo and some others have)

Proud TQE Operator[FONT] [COLOR]

but put a '/' before the second 'B' 'FONT' 'COLOR' and 'CENTER' so that it works.​

mkay will do but what does it stand for?

james​

#14 ·
Getting the auto out is a nightmare, but I won't bother explaining any of it because you've succeeded lol :)

The pedal box isn't really difficult, just time consuming, just pull the dash apart one piece at a time and you'll manage. I had the extra hassle of all my dodgy wiring running all through the dash and all over the place, which made me take a few hours more than it probably should've. But otherwise it's no big drama.

Alex

#15 ·
Getting the auto out was the hardest part. Today cleaned the manual box up and put it all back in along with the tail shaft. All done now pedle box is on its way thats tommrow then just the wiring and should all be done. We put a manual computer in instead of the auto does that help with the wiring at all ?? I think the manual box feels lighter then the auto. We put the shroude on first and fed the manual into it this made it a fair bit easier didnt have the trouble with the top bolts and starter motor bolts. It looks good now when i look in the window there is now a manual sticking out :) It will be interesting tommrow to see the thing drive and how much better its gotten. Im gonna race my friends mums au3 fairmont its slow of the mark so i wonder who would reach 60km first im still guessing it would. Hopefully tommrow the nightmare is over !

#17 ·
Just a suggestion to anyone thinking of doing an e-series manual conversion. PM ELXR8393, as he sells a mounting pin that fits into the auto pedal box. We used this when we converted the fairlane. Only takes about 2 minutes to fit, and saves a lot of time, effort, and skin on your fingers.

#18 ·
russellw calls 6 cylinder motors "three quarter engines" because 6 is 3/4 of 8.

so "TQE" is "Three Quarter Engine"

im bloody proud to have a 6 under the bonnet, and it puts out more hp than a lot of 8s on this forum, though its near stock and the comp is buggered :s6:

#19 ·
Rollin said:
russellw calls 6 cylinder motors "three quarter engines" because 6 is 3/4 of 8.

so "TQE" is "Three Quarter Engine"

im bloody proud to have a 6 under the bonnet, and it puts out more hp than a lot of 8s on this forum, though its near stock and the comp is buggered :s6:

me to , a proud TQE operator!

btw you left out the first
- took me ages to get it to work! to the correct way is -
Proud TQE Operator[FONT][COLOR]

#21 ·
The pedle box was a bitch to get out but the manual one is in now. Had to lift the dash back to get those 3 top bolts. Only gotta hook up the clutch cable and do a tiny bit of wiring and the nightmare is over. Only problem is ill need to get 2 new back tyres tommrow afternoon damn ;)

#25 ·
Finshed the conversion today. At first wouldnt start but that was fixed with earthing the starter motor. It started then but was so sick could barely run turns out it was the manual computer we put in. Put the auto computer back in runs fine. Havent really driven it need to check the oil in the gearbox and adjust the clutch. The car though idles at 1200rpm for some reason can't seem to stop it maybe time for a tune up ? From the small drive iv had of it seems like the conversion was a good idea :) It was a nightmare to do but all seems worth it but i think ill buy a manual car next time. Can't wait to drive it !!!!

#26 ·
i promised someone a picture of my pedal box mod to stop the firewall cracking, and also to prevent the auto pedal box from coming out all together. i will be posting it on here tomorrow as i have been away for the last month. basically, all you get is a piece of 5/8 solid steel rod long enough to be welded to the existing hole (designed for the manual box) and enough the put the pedal in and clip it. i also had a piece of adjustable steel plate from the pedal box to the firewall to stop the firewall cracking from the cable and the pedal gradually bending and craking on the box. i have done it on both of my manual EA's, but only one did I convert, I took the pedal box out of my old wreck, never bothered with the one in my previous EA, the hell with that trouble. so yeah, if anyone is interested, i'll post a thread tomorrow, work allowing me to get home on time, and then you can get a clearer picture. i got an engineer to weld it in too, neater job than my welding...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.