The manual is in, the engine is out :'( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 05:24   #1 (permalink)
Thats my bag baby

The manual is in, the engine is out :'(

Hi all

some of you might remember my thread detailing my experiences with removing the stock auto slush-box out of my EB Falcon and whacking a manual tranny into it :)

well, after that was completed, we set to working out why it was blowing so much smoke. After testing MAP/O2 sensors, plugs, wiring, ECU and dizzy, we had a quick look at the oil..... and it was as runny as water

my face dropped, my wallet upped and ran away

so off comes the head, and out comes the block and the slugs. What we found, was that on #4 cylnder, the rings were mis-aligned, and anyone who has ever seen rings will know what i mean, and so oil and fuel have been mixing since it rolled off the floor at ford. The car only has 160,000 on the clock, and the head was looking very black and gummed up

the head was sent down to the local ford tech-head here in my parts, who said he would rather spend the time and money fixing it rather than just exchanging, because my current head is still very strong alloy and not 'soft' as they tend to do with alot of Kms on it..... $800 later my head has new valve guides, valve seats and valve grind and a whole lot of other stuff that obviously costs spondoolies :(

this weekend, we are screwing it all back together and getting it up and running again. While the engine is out, we are replacing the big end bearings, thrust bearing, rings, timing chain and honing it out and giving it all a really good clean

but its not all bad news :)

went and finalised my new car speaker setup for the beast, and its getting fitted monday morning :D

2x12" Type S subs/2x220w ?? ( i think ) V12 amp/alpine S splits (with the diffusers) and some 6 inch rounds in the back, all alpine, with sound deadening in the doors and all new speaker wiring and 6 gauge power wiring all installed... there goes another $1600....

and arriving into my boot monday afternoon, should be a set of lowered shocks/springs for all 4 corners and a camber kit to fix the bloody wheel alignment ... another $700

then, i think ill save up for some nice 17" mags (EL GT? - any suggestions?) and maybe a boot lip spoiler

here are some pics of my sad and sorry engine... look at the crud on the #4 piston... makes me squirm :(

you guys will get some pics of my beast once its lowered :D

PS - pics are ~500kb each .. high qual :p

http://www.ballbag.net/car/P8080216.JPG
crankshaft and water pump look in good nick.. thank god

http://www.ballbag.net/car/P8080217.JPG
Engine mounts are still solid .... look at that oil

http://www.ballbag.net/car/P8080218.JPG
close-up of a newly machined flywheel... the BA XR6T HD clutch hasnt done much damage :p but by golly is it heavy :)

http://www.ballbag.net/car/P8080219.JPG
here you can see all the shit that has built up on the piston... the most glazed bore i have ever seen

http://www.ballbag.net/car/P8080220.JPG
black black oil and muck everywhere to be seen :(

any advice or critisism is welcomed guys :)
cheers
Mods : Clear indicators/side repeaters, Smartlock, Factory Cruise Control, Manual Conversion, S-Pack Cluster, Heavy Duty Clutch, Lukey Extractors/2.5 Inch piping/Single Lukey Muffler, Lovells lowered springs and lowered shocks
Stereo : Pioneer DEH-P5650MP HU, Alpine TypeS 6' Splits, Alpine TypeS 6' 2-Ways, Alpine TypeS 12' Subs (2), Alpine 2Ch V12 Amp all stealth installed
Nemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 06:25   #2 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Re: The manual is in, the engine is out :'(

Heya mate, well done with the engine.. You may as well get it all done while it's out.. Hadn't you noticed the oil was bad from when you were driving her before?

How much better is the XR6T HD clutch compared to say, a HD Daikan? Would that XR6T clutch fit on my V8?

Looks good mate, and congrats on the stereo too.. Hope you don't have to sell it to get cash like i had to :(

Cheers mate,
yaggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:28   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Getting any work done on the head while it's off?

I'm guessing if it bolts straight up to the I6, you can't use it. Why do you want TQE parts anyway?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 15:40   #4 (permalink)
Thats my bag baby

cheers guys :)

the XR6T clutch is great, its very heavy but it bites so hard, we are putting in a strenthened thrust bearing because with such a HD clutch, it will tend to put more pressure on this bearing and it will show signs of 'play' alot quicker

i wont be selling the stezza in a hurry :p im lucky in that i am getting paid very well at the moment, but im doin ~60hrs a week which is making things tough

as far as head work is concerned, very limited... replacing anything that needs to be, and will look at things like camshafts and the like when my bank account recovers

PS - TQE parts??? please explain :)
Mods : Clear indicators/side repeaters, Smartlock, Factory Cruise Control, Manual Conversion, S-Pack Cluster, Heavy Duty Clutch, Lukey Extractors/2.5 Inch piping/Single Lukey Muffler, Lovells lowered springs and lowered shocks
Stereo : Pioneer DEH-P5650MP HU, Alpine TypeS 6' Splits, Alpine TypeS 6' 2-Ways, Alpine TypeS 12' Subs (2), Alpine 2Ch V12 Amp all stealth installed
Old 08-13-2004, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Ahhhh that's directed at Yagz.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 19:36   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

TQE means three quarter engine. Its a terms that devoted fans use. Most of the time they really do prefer V8's but don't want to admit it. They call themselves TQE Operators. The V8 boys call themselves TQE Owners Enough of my shit stirring I think :s5
Old 08-14-2004, 21:59   #7 (permalink)
Kill the Playboy Bunny!!

You wouldn't want to write a tutorial on how to swap the trannys, would you?

I will most definantely be doing it to my car...
Selekta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 23:55   #8 (permalink)
Thats my bag baby

Well we went to slap the rings onto the freshly cleaned and bathed pistons when......

wrong rings

i cant remember how many times i told the bloke 'EB 4L' at the shop, yet he ordered us 3.9L rings

rang all around the local area, no-one had them

looks like next weekend will be the rebuild weekend ... i am so furious!

need to postphone my stereo install from tomorrow too now :(
Old 08-17-2004, 19:25   #9 (permalink)
Thats my bag baby

Well, last night i finished screwing my engine back together, and its now ready for the most fun of all, putting it back into the car

here are a few pics for the unedumacated

http://ballbag.net/car/P8170248.JPG

http://ballbag.net/car/P8170249.JPG

http://ballbag.net/car/P8170250.JPG

hopefully all going well, we will drop the engine back into the car tonight, then sunday we will fit the new suspension gear, and wednesday it gets its lovely new stereo :)

cheers
Old 08-17-2004, 19:34   #10 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Excellent mate! well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons