Manual vs Auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2003, 21:50   #1 (permalink)

Manual vs Auto

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a BA XR6 NA. I've heard less-than-fantastic things about the manual gearbox so I was hoping to get some opinions on which one to get, manual or auto?

Then all I need to decide on is the damned colour.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

Re: Manual vs Auto

I got the auto for that exact reason.
I use the SSS almost constantly and do not miss having a manual.
Only negative was the additional cost of the SSS.
Old 08-10-2003, 00:01   #3 (permalink)

Go the auto, works too well with the 6 cylinder, plus the manual mode is just as fun.
AU4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 00:03   #4 (permalink)
Otherwise known as Robbo

i bought the manual and although I have critisized it on these forums, i would still stick with it given the choice. Ive driven my dads BA auto fairmont so i have some experience with both:

manual XR6: cons - notchy shift, often hard to engage first and reverse.
pros - faster acceleration, overall car is lighter, more fuel
efficient, obviosly complete control over gear
selection and engine revs, and (on occasion) able to
spin the wheels when needed ;-), more rwkw.

auto fairmont: cons - cant fully control shift, even with tiptronic, not as
fun through corners.
pros - very smooth, and likes to rev, good in traffic.

Overall if i voted with my head i would choose the auto - its smooth, its willing to rev to redline (unlike some autos), and is a hell of a lot better in traffic. Tiptronic shift is good but dont believe marketing hype that is drives like a manual. Voting with my heart i will always choose the manual, simply as i like having full control over gears and revs, and can also manipulate the clutch. I tend to get very bored with autos. Sure its notchy and not particulary a fast shift, but i still think it will last the test of time and be reliable - while many people whinge about the manual, i think its quite easy to live with, its just that it could be a lot smoother. i dont see the point in buying something sporty wether it be XR6, XR6T or XR8 if your going to limit the driving experience with a "softomatic" - but i do fully understand some peoples decisions, simply as either a) they deal with traffic everday or b) their just old and lazy (just kidding)...
Also - Kawasaki ZZR, soon to be Kawasaki ZX6R.
XRSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 00:23   #5 (permalink)

Guys,
Once you have got used to a Toploader with a heavy duty clutch everything else is as light as a feather! lol.....GO THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAY NOOOO TO THE SLUSHY !!!!!!

hehe just food for thought!

Regards
Shane
Old 08-10-2003, 00:39   #6 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Biggest drawback in the auto is that first gear is like second gear in the manual, so it's not as fast off the line.

But unless you're a traffic light bandit, it's a much more satisfying drive for someone like me who does 80% city driving.

Only other drawback I've experienced so far is that with the weight of the car the auto goes through its' front brake pads pretty fast. I changed mine at 13000km when I got the DBA front rotors and the originals were already about 2/3 worn.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 00:57   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

All depend's on what sort of driving you plan to do or like and that is your decission,ie do you live in the city or do alot of city driving or country driving, I've allway's been a Manual man, but this time I decided to go the Auto only because I wanted a car that I could jump in and cruise and relax especially after a long week,I drive a furniture truck for a living and changing gear's all day is bad enough,it soon take's it's toll on your leg's,but a Manual could be fun but in this day and age how often can you have fun,if you value your licence that is.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:07   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, I really like to drive so I'm favouring the manual over the auto. Where I live there's not much chance of getting caught in traffic. I've been using Subaru's clunky gearboxes for 6 years so I suspect that I may not notice much of a difference. Have driven the auto but the dealer doesn't have a manual in stock. I'm somewhat loathe to order something I haven't driven. All seven cars in the showroom, including turbo and XR8's feature 18's, premium sound, premium paint and sport wheels. I guess they're looking for you to upgrade and buy what you've just driven.

My other small problem is colour, I like the blueprint but I'm afraid I'm going to see it everywhere. Quite a few people have made a good case for winter white, which I'll admit is pretty sleek. Anyone have any words of wisdom re: colour?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:13   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I didnt think you could order Blueprint anymore because it is being discontinued,but I could be wrong, but yeah go Winter White,with tint, very classy.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:17   #10 (permalink)

They have a 6 and an 8 in the showroom in Blueprint. I mentioned that I was considering the colour and the rep didn't say anything about not being able to get it. My mind may be made up for me then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons