May Motor - nasty buggers! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 04:53   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

May Motor - nasty buggers!

I think it was April Motor or perhaps March where they did an article on utes. They tested them in auto. I wrote them a letter bagging them about doing autos - bunch of sissies if you ask me. And I also had a go at them about the sexist stuff they wrote about chics not understanding PCOTY and a bunch of other really derogatory stuff. Now, as I said in the letter, which they published (see Chick Flick), I usually don't care about the female payouts - it is a guy's mag and that is just the way it is - and I even think most of it is funny! And I sure as hell aint no feminist - hate that shit! But for some reason, the shit they wrote that day just got up my nose and I had a go at them about it.

Anyway they publised it and their response was quite funny, re the sexist stuff and they made a quite valid point about how chicks mags discuss guys (and I agree, that is why I can't stand 'em).... anyway.... about the auto ute test, they said they tested them in autos coz that is what sells the most and because that is what the readers wanted...

Now, I ask you... accoring to the poll on this forum about what BA you own, it seems that in fact (on this site, the enthusiast's site) the utes in manual are outselling the autos (the performance ones anyway, which is the point) - I am just wondering if you all think their comment is justified - that the auto utes sell more than the manual ones do (and I think they were implying that the autos sell more in each model and it seems in some, they do)....

From what I gather on here, there are plenty of manual buyers, and in utes particularly....

Any opinions?
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 04:58   #2 (permalink)
HSV

Re: May Motor - nasty buggers!

A lot of guys/girls are now leaning towards the autos for every day drivers and also fast 1/4 times........in street trim, add a stally and bob's their uncle.....manual is difficult to launch....but an auto takes all the fun outta it.
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:29   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I'm a traditionalist and for a car like an XR, manual is the only way to go. Theres something missing in the auto even though the auto these days have pseudo manuals etc. Nothing like 3 pedals and the H gate.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:31   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Without driving a manual XR6T or XR8 ute, its hard for me to comment.. Most FORD Ute owners I know went for the auto due to the SSS. In the MOTOR three-way Ute comparo article, I believe the XR6T came out on top and most of us know that the 'T' with a SSS auto is a damn sweet combination.

If the comparo was in manual trim I think due to the bagging MOTOR give the T5 normally, the outcome would have been different.....and maybe not in Fordís favour. MOTOR unfortunately do not appreciate the XR8's attributes as much as most of the paying public do.

On the chick bagging subject, giveím hell baby..lol

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:32   #5 (permalink)
What a spooky world!

We (thats Jack Daniels and I) agree somewhat with HSV (hey isnt that a Holden). The majority of people who buy a Ford ute probably just want a ute. They arn't enthusiasts like individuals on this site who prefer manual etc.....
I am with you on the derogatory issue but its not worth the battle.....even though they do puish the issue.
Ford Falcon XR8 Dec 2003 BA, Silhouette Black, Char/Red Interior, Manual, 23,000kms, One owner, Side Airbags, Premium Sound, Tow Bar, Tinted Windows, Scuff plates, Factory Sunroof, Mud Splats, Floor Matts, Aux 12v Socket, Genuine Nokia 'no holes' Car Kit, Serviced very regularly (1,000kms, 3,000kms, 10,000kms, 15,000kms). Regrettable sale $41,000. David 0422-22-5363 Caroline Springs, Melbourne
image001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by image001
We (thats Jack Daniels and I) agree somewhat with HSV (hey isnt that a Holden). The majority of people who buy a Ford ute probably just want a ute. They arn't enthusiasts like individuals on this site who prefer manual etc.....
I am with you on the derogatory issue but its not worth the battle.....even though they do puish the issue.
Hey, do not take me for being some overly sensitive chic, I just reckon they could recognise that some females do like Motor and Wheels when all else that is on offer is some Cleo or Cosmo rubbish.... and maybe not just assume that every single female out there is an idiot when it comes to cars.... however, I usually dont bite coz I think it is funny most of the time and just laugh - I can take fun being poked at me - but that was just really insulting more than sexist - hence my big mouth and having to write in....

Yeah, well they tested peformance utes, and still maintain they sell more in autos - it seems according to the poll on here at least, where the enthusiasts are, that in fact the manuals outsell the autos and I thought some guys on here might have something to say about it....

Oh well, it is all a bit silly really, but I have been defending the Motor guys against a few on here, but no more - there are limits....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-15-2004, 05:53   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I would have thought the Auto's were above the manual's in sale's in both sedan and ute's,but I could be wrong.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:12   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I would have thought the Auto's were above the manual's in sale's in both sedan and ute's,but I could be wrong.
Well, they could be, but the poll on this site sort of indicates otherwise but that might just be because there are a bunch of mad buggers on here who are real enthusiasts which skews the results....However, gimme the dudes on here any day as opposed to the Motor dudes.

I guess if you all like your auto utes, then you had better not read my letter then, huh? He he.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-15-2004, 06:16   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Yes a lot on here would prefer the manual but the majority of people who buy vehicle's these day's, buy auto's, I'd like to see a comparision on the auto V's manual in the sale's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:20   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yes a lot on here would prefer the manual but the majority of people who buy vehicle's these day's, buy auto's, I'd like to see a comparision on the auto V's manual in the sale's.
Yes, well I would like to see the sales figures for the performance utes alone, ie the XR6T ute, the XR6 ute (possibly) and the XR8 ute, in addition to the Holden equivalents....because if they take into account the regular workhorse, then of course there will be more autos and it will not be results that are revelent to Motor article which holds out to be a performance kind of focus....

I could be wrong, but in any case, a friend of mine said that if he bought an auto ute and took it out with his mates, he would cop it big time and that he would never live it down.... and that was kinda my point - as you will see when you read it. Each to their own in the end I guess...
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons