Modifying GT's - poll - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What spec do you think GT's should be?
Strictly stock standard, including all stamps, etc 17 9.39%
Close to stock as possible 23 12.71%
Period accessories/aftermarket parts 12 6.63%
Internal (not visible) modifications 24 13.26%
Modern modifications to enhance driveability/power 15 8.29%
Any bolt on modifications 12 6.63%
Go for your life, itís your car 78 43.09%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 21:53   #1 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Modifying GT's - poll

Just thought I'd start a poll to gauge opinions about modifying the old GT's, mainly XR-XB but these days it also applies to the EB & EL GT's as well.

I put some basic options above, but even within those there is room for clarification.

Eg if you say strictly stock standard does that mean you have to find an original Motorcraft battery and get that reconditioned, or if you use a ďnormalĒ battery is that still ok. You could even get a non-working Motorcraft battery to use for displays. It can all get a bit obsessive really! On a more pragmatic level basic consumables such as tyres, batteries & fan belts are excluded. Some parts may be unobtainable or ridiculously expensive, and a substitute used until the right bit is found.

I know a lot of people donít have a problem with changing cams, etc on the basis that they are hidden mods that donít affect the appearance of the car. Then there is a step further that says so long as it is bolt on the modification is allowable Ė here you can see everything from superchargers (with a second bonnet, keeping the original intact) to 18Ē rims.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Re: Modifying GT's - poll

Voted "Go for your life, itís your car".

If you want to sell it again it's a good idea to keep it stock, but if you don't then it doesn't matter at all.
Old 05-04-2004, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

Don't know how you can do option 1 "Strictly stock standard, including all stamps, etc" if you drive the car.

I mean like keeping the tyres up, like the Dunlop Aquajets fitted to some GTs :)

Anyways, I voted "Go for your life, itís your car", but I personally would change anything that stop you going back to original spec.

So say if you wanted a hotter engine, id buy another engine and keep the orignal engine in its stock format.

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 23:16   #4 (permalink)

I would keep the original parts if mods were done and put them back when it's time to sell the car.

The paint & interior should be kept original.

Me personally I opted to do mods on a plain old Falcon 500 this way I do what I want with it and it won't matter.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 23:40   #5 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Ok, a bit of clarification as to what I was meaning. By bolt on modifications I was meaning completely reversible changes, so that the car could be returned to stock as you have been saying. By go for your life I was more referring to things like a Phase 3 that is for sale at the moment which has apparently been a drag car in a past life and has cut chassis legs, guards, etc to put tubs in.

Youíre right, if you always keep the old Aquajets, etc on the car people will struggle to find them in the future, let alone the lack of grip. I would expect most only get put on for shows. Then again thatís all some cars do too.

Good point JG33, if you are going to do radical mods to your car does it really matter whether you start with a GT. On a similar vein, there was a letter in AMC against using original, NOS parts on historic race cars (even a complete original low-mileage Torana GTR) where chances are they will end up destroyed.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:55   #6 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

I believe a GT should go as fast as it looks, so i am building the standard 351 to be as powerfull as i can make it, while still using the 4v heads, and not inceasing the bore (stroking), the block is the only standard part of the bottom end ,im trying to get to 300rwkw, hope to know soon.
As far as external mods go, i have 10 inch 12 slotts, as i reckon the standard cheese cutters look shite, especially on a coupe, i have also lowered it, the car now looks like what i see a Gt as, and i have the standard parts in the shed, just in case i ever need to sell it, and go back to standard.
I would not under any circumstances, cut or modify the body, My engine builder keeps hassling me about cutting a hole in the bonnet, so as to increase windspeed to the manifold with carb spacers etc....
If he were to do it, @#*&, i could plead tempory insanity to the judge ehh?
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:17   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

I like GTs with a few modification, nothing that couldn't be revered though, and a few others that make the car more pleasant to drive. I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be undone.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:22   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
a Phase 3 that is for sale at the moment which has apparently been a drag car in a past life and has cut chassis legs, guards, etc to put tubs in.

I think i'm gonna cry.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 14:23   #9 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

if you want to radically "street machine" a classic i prefer to see it done to an ordinary model. i voted period correct accessories, for example 15x8 minilites look superb, wern't an option but are period correct. that's my taste though. it just comes down to your car, you do what you want.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:58   #10 (permalink)
walking power

If i had the money to buy an orginal GT it would have to be option 1, there are a few out there that havnt been touched since new and they are the true examples of ORIGINAL GT's.

If you're not going to have a stock GT(with the plates) then id build a replica and do whatever i liked to it.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons