Mods and warranty! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 00:30   #1 (permalink)

Mods and warranty!

Just traded in the old EF on a blueprint 2002 AUIII XR8 and its still got balance of new car warranty on it. Whats the general story with doing mods to all these new cars while they are under warranty? Is it just a matter of what Ford cant see wont hurt them?! I know the potential of these cars and am keen to get some good power figures. Anyone got any stories of doing mods to their AU or BA and what happened when they took it back to Ford? Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 01:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mods and warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie
Just traded in the old EF on a blueprint 2002 AUIII XR8 and its still got balance of new car warranty on it. Whats the general story with doing mods to all these new cars while they are under warranty? Is it just a matter of what Ford cant see wont hurt them?! I know the potential of these cars and am keen to get some good power figures. Anyone got any stories of doing mods to their AU or BA and what happened when they took it back to Ford? Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
Hi Budgie,
I have a 2002 AUIII XR8 ute which has hurricane extractors, full 2 1/2" dual system, powerchip (168rwk). I had the exaust fitted just after I got the car, About one year later my car started to cut out (imobaliser was kicking in)
Problem was wire harness not cliped back on back when exaust was fitted
started wearing through on exaust. Because I had mod done to exaust they made me pay for the repairs. the moral of the story is make sure you have a quality exaust fitter and check you car that the work was done properly. The exaust will only improve you engine never harm (if done properly)
As for the chip has never missed a beat, never had any problem just an extra 23rwk was impressed.
Wade rocks
Lowride260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:21   #3 (permalink)

way i see it you play you pay off course if the mod has nothing to do with the problem then it is still warranty but if the mod is the cause of the problem or even a contributing factor then you pay pretty simple to me
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

It's a risk but really when you talk exhaust or simple mod's like this you would have to be pretty stiff to get caught with a warrenty job that a dealer would refuse but it still can happen, the only thing I could reconmend is that when you get the mod's done, get a reputable performance shop to do the work, someone who gaurunties their workmanship, therfore if you have a problem they are more than willing to help you out, someone like the master's, HERROD's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:37   #5 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Don't count on it... the Focus has an upstream and a downstream O2 sensor and I'm having idling problems and loss of engine braking currently. Took it to the dealership and they said that because of the exhaust they said the car is getting confused and because of the exhaust they can't test to see if it is busted or not, so to take off the exhaust and put back the original and then they could test it. Pain in the arse but sounds pretty fair to me, rather than "get stuffed, that's it, no more warranty". Now I just have to fit the standard zorst for a week. Grease monkey grease monkey...

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:45   #6 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Seeing as some dealers are authorised Herrod retailers you shouldn't have a prob with warranty.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:53   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I suspose it all really depand's on your relationship with your dealer and how well you know them or how well they are willing to help you out, some will bend over backward's for you, other's will treat you like crap.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Spoke to workshop foreman of one of the dealerships a couple of days ago. The bottom line from Ford was that the driveline will not be covered if any more than a cats back system is fitted. This meant no CAI or chips etc. As said above, be nice to those who service your car. You want them on your side.
The bottom line though, is that it doesn't matter how good or reputable the people are fitting the gear, You make too much power, you can be refused warranty on the affected parts(driveline). I guess they have to draw a line somewhere, even if the XR8 runs the same trans and diff as the GT.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons