Ford Forums banner

My BA XR8 experience

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Curls 
#1 ·
The day finally arrived, the day was today, when i had finally experienced what the XR8 is all about.

I will be honest with you all, when the specs were released at the introduction of the BA XR8, i was ecstatic about the power but quite disappointed about the extra weight. In all the mags, the XR6t gained the marketing edge and is now mostly believed to be the prefered performance package... to some degree, i was also one of these people to believe this and automatically think that the XR8 wasnt as sweet as it should've been...

Who was i kidding, i hadn't even driven the thing and i already had a mind set that the XR8 was an underperforming lard arse falcon.

Today made me realise that a drive in an XR8 can totally change your view on things, this car blew me away, the sound, the performance, it's firm yet absolutely comfortable suspension tune, the XR8 exceeded all my expectations, i have a new respect for the XR8 and walked away with my pearly whites shining bright..

In the new year, i know what i will be shopping for, a BOSS 5.4L, whether it be the XR or GT, i don't know yet, but geeeez...what an engine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great post mate, I am with you all the way! I felt the same way about the XR8...even contemplated buying an SS, until I had a decent drive in the XR. The car just handles and drives so much better.

Can't wait to get mine...I am on the countdown!!

#3 ·
Congrats on your purchase JoeG.

I haven't driven the SS, when the time gets closer for me to purchase something myself, i'll probably have a go just to see what they're like, i'll also be fair to myself and have a go in the XR6t.

#4 ·
Glad you liked it JEM. It’s always been a fine car, just caught between to others that for one reason or another do have its measure. I found the 260’s throttle response to be a little flat in the lower rev range; however it was glorious higher up. Having said that, I will be having another more recent drive before signing off on an XR6T order.

Regardless, it’s a personal choice and I believe in the long term the XR8 will be valued more than the Turbo. What I like best on the 8 would have to be the bonnet bulge and the supercharger potential!!

#5 ·
Agree with you CDAA. The XR8 really feels civil, and like you said, gives a slight flat feeling when cruising at low speed, but i wasn't disappointed with the power delivery once the boot was put in, the power delivery was awesome, quite linear with no surprises.

The XR6t would have to be something really special, and i'm sure it is, i can't wait to experience it.

#6 ·
Good to see that even though the journos reckon it is too heavy and the edge is taken off the real people can enjoy it. Unfortunately I can't comment on it's performance...I haven't even been in an XR6T yet. :sad:

#7 ·
Thanks JEM, The turbo is special and completely different, there is an initial dullness short lived, by a sling-shot sensation of power and torque. It’s not a V8 though, but doesn't pretend to be.

It would be good to hear laminge's experience with his past BA Xr8 as a guide. I know he's sold it now, which I guess is not a good indication, however how can it complete with 1000 hp T3??..lol

#8 ·
JEM said:
Who was i kidding, i hadn't even driven the thing and i already had a mind set that the XR8 was an underperforming lard arse falcon.
The sad thing is that you were not alone in that mate... 97% of ls1.com.au and about 75% of FF.com are just as guilty.

Great report and I agree entirely, during my little go behind the wheel of Chucky's ex, I was impressed with the package and certainly could live with any of the minor gripes.

I just wish more people would do what you did - get out there and actually drive something before deciding to dismiss it or make stupid comments about it. Hell, if that was the case, we'd clean the forums up by a good 30% of posts I reckon!!!

#9 ·
JEM,

Heres my original post to this forum re my experiences at the dealers. Hope it helps you a little.

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=49749

I find it very frustrating that people are bagging the XR8...I just don't see why? From all accounts the car just gets better and better with more Kms on the clock, and it really doesn't show its full potential until +10,000 Kms. My experience reinforces this, because I drove 3 XR8s from various dealers and each felt different from a "power down" perspective.

The 1st two only had around 100ks and 300ks respectively on the clock. They were brand new tight donks and you could really tell and feel it. The last one had +3000ks on the clock, and that one felt heaps better and more gutsy. The sound also seemed to be deeper and had a more beautiful growl. It was great to drive and had substancially more grunt than the other two.

Anyway, I reckon that the XR8 is a vastly superior car to the SS in terms of comfort, handling and ride. Power wise they are pretty close(IMO the XR has a bit more grunt), but the XR just gives me more confidence on the road, esp. at speed.

Cheers...J.

#10 ·
good stuff Jem, going over just what sparkles said you may read in magazines or hear that the XR8 is an underperforming fat prick, but take one for more than a trip round the block and check out what it can do.

Mines done 10400km's, and it's beaten both stock turbo's and SS's in very close runs. As the kays rack up the engine loosens up and gets more responsive. I havent looked back!

#11 ·
I own an I6 Futura however have driven for longer than your average test drives an XT V8 auto, XR8 auto, LTD V8 auto, Xr6T auto and of them all its the XR8 memories that bring back an instant smile. The turbo was damn quick and its speed is masked by its quieter engine so I would lose my licence faster in this, yet the XR8 had a superb mix of sound, feel and look that hits the mark. The six speed auto (my buying pref.) would make this an ultimate machine aiding its first gear ratio/take-off response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.