My Falcon Concept
I’ve let my imagination (and imaginary budget) run wild and developed a concept for a Super Sports Falcon. Sure, it may be a pipe dream, but I’ve got nothing to lose, and I think Ford or FPV else need to really pull a legendary V8 out of the bag. I've been working on this concept on and off for a few months now and I call it Phase 2. My objectives are to :
1. Improve the XR8 or GT performance by reducing weight and increasing power.
2. Improve handling of the car
3. Improve aerodynamics by bodywork and ducting mods
Lets get serious about enough power to push the weight of this car. Although a driving goal is to lower the weight, the engine and necessary components won’t be able to be reduced drastically without huge costs. For the additional weight of the BOSS motor there has to be a substantial payoff in power (the gap between the XR6 Turbo and the BOSS is nowhere near what it should be). So the following mods are made to produce what I’ve called the BOSS 400, with an aim to produce 400 Kw and around 600 Nm at the flywheel, this is accomplished by the following. Starting with the BOSS 290 if possible:
1. CAPA Centrifugal under bonnet supercharger (Low-ish boost to preserve engine life)
2. Performance ceramic coated Exhaust header & 3’ system
3. Appropriate ECU chip adaptation if required
4.Carbon Fibre Composite drive shaft would be sweet too, (a-la 350Z) although handling the amount of torque may be an issue.
Weight reduction through Carbon fibre Bonnet, Boot and Roof if possible.
Re-shaped bonnet incorporating what I call the Mega-bulge. This allows more under-bonnet space for any additional engine components required to raise the power output. I'm not a fan of the "plastic fantastic" on the DJR, so I wanted to come up with something that looked beefy and showed this was something special. Theres really no need for anything to be attached to, or petrude from the bonnet, with underbonnet superchargers these days unless you start planting top mounted intercoolers on, and I doubt that would be viable with the size of the BOSS.
Improved aerodynamics, and air ducting, for cooling brakes. You can see the widened mouth. The two outer edges have ducting to the brake area to help cool the rotors and pads. Front spoiler lower, and side mirror frontal surface area reduced . Power unit for mirrors removed for weight reduction. Side and rear skirts are also lowered.
1. Racing seats – lightest weight adjustable seats. No power adjustment unit.
2. Trimmed down rear seats, easily removable for racing, exposing with anchor points for racing harness, or points for harness available elsewhere in cabin.
3. All possible heavy items removed – power windows replaced with lightweight winders, rear speakers removed etc.
Lighwieght 18" mags - not sure which ones yet. Toolkit & jack as light as possible.
Suspension and Brakes as per the DJR 320 I think they are on the money in those departments.
That's all I've come up with thus far. Any other ideas on weight reduction power increase welcome. Think road legal race car !
Narooma Blue BA XR8, CAPA Wide Mouth CIA, Green Filter (POD),18"s, Tints, Alarm, RDA Rotors, Lucas Pads, Braided lines, Wife + 3 Kids
Falcon XR8 - "A car powerful like a Gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball"