my GT Purchase Update - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

my GT Purchase Update

Not long got back from having another look at the GT I am buying. I have to thank Warren from central coast all ford club for generously donating his time to come with me and give me an opinion on it. Also, he brought his burnt orange xb gt coupe with him so that was alot of fun.

The car I am buying has some issues. Nothing real major, just things to be aware of.

1) It has a mystery cam in it. This wont be too big a deal as he is giving me the original cam with the car and I will probably put a new, more modern cam in it anyway.

2) Air Con. Needs re-gassing and modernising which I am probably for $400 or so.

3) Steering Box. Needs replacing or rebuilding if possible. car wanders over road when your driving it.

4) Power steering pump. On the way out. Will need replacing

5) Sun roof seal seems dodgy. This was pointed out to me by Warren.

6) Some dash hacking has been performed. There is an aftermarket radio that has been put into it and he has even put an electronic boot release button onto the dashboard via a drilled holl. (yeah I know) So in long term I will be up for new dashboard to get it back to completly original.

Now for the good news:

1) Car is matching numbers confirmed. It is genuine article.

2) Car is virtually fully optioned with few exceptions. Even has some protection pack options like overriders, sump gaurd. Have to check if it had protection pack optioned on it. Dosnt have rear window demister unfortunately.

3) Car is rare color with factory sun roof and air conditioning. with Most options here.

4) Interior is much better than I thought. There is a crack in the crash pad. But all in all nice condition. Roof lining is great. Doors are great. But the best bit is the seat cloth inserts are in A1 condition. I had thought there was a rip in the cloth material but this rip is in the vinyl. The vinyl is MUCH easier to get hold of. With a bit of a clean up the car would look great.

This car will become an addition to my garage in a few short weeks.

74' Sandstone Biege XBGT, 351, FMX, Sunroof, Air Con, Power Steering.
Black EX-R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 22:20   #2 (permalink)
tony

Re: my GT Purchase Update

sounds great mate..

you can't expect a car that's 30 odd years old not to have a few "personal touches" from previous owners. how many XR6/8's do you see that haven't been touched from the factory?

have you called Ford yet to confirm what the car came with from the factory? off the top of my head, i think the number is 13 3673 (13FORD). they can tell what options it had, a special over the phone service for GT's :)

good luck with it
Old 12-03-2004, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black EX-R6
car wanders over road when your driving it
i forgot to mention, this could be the case because of the power steering. power steer on these cars made the steering very light!
Old 12-03-2004, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

my xa had powersteer probs... new unit, not too much $$ , problem solved.
Old 12-03-2004, 22:49   #5 (permalink)
Long live the AU!!

sounds sweet, cant wait to see it!

> Piccies <
hambo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 23:03   #6 (permalink)
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
my xa had powersteer probs... new unit, not too much $$ , problem solved.
good to hear mate :)
Old 12-04-2004, 01:24   #7 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

wouldn't mind an engine bay like yours though tony... oh and a body, motor, hell car for that sake.

hmmmmm, number 2...... bonus in 7 weeks...... what to do?
Old 12-04-2004, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

Blue Eyes: Yeah I have rang 13ford. Im pretty sure she didnt say protection pack.

Another thing is there are no log books at all. He says he got it from the original family that owned it. The original owner was a guy who ended up giving it to his son who trashed it. The current owner spotted it in a paddock and rescued it.

Now my question is Can I somehow track down the original owner? Would ford keep details of the original owner of the car? Do they keep details of what dealer they delivered it to? It would be good to try and contact the original owners and see what they did with it.

The current owner swares the paint job on the back is original. So if it was it wouldnt be from factory and would be a dealer mod. Possibly mcleod ford? If I can track the original owner I may know if the paint job was like that when they bought it.

Re: Power steering. Warren owns an xb gt hardtop and his car drives dead straight. This car seems to wander about on the road, warren said that as well.

My first trip with the GT other than to my garage will be to a mechanic I have been recommended to. Ill drop it in for a service as the owner has been servicing it, and I will leave it with him for afew days and get him to go right over it checking everything. I may possibly get it dyno'd prior to getting work done as a baseline.

Old 12-04-2004, 14:29   #9 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

Oh, and the tips on the exhaust are not original. They are rather large, like 2 times the size of the original ones. Would that be stealing some of the V8 rumble as it dosnt sound much like a V8 when it starts.

Old 12-04-2004, 15:16   #10 (permalink)

Good to hear it's an honest car. The issues you've identified are pretty minor in the scheme of things so I wouldn't let any of that put you off, it's not like you have to go searching for rare and hard to find parts.

I know the paint detail around the back panel and bumpers isn't correct but I think it looks good as is. Unless you intend making it a concourse show car I'd leave the paint alone. If it does need repainting then by all means apply the correct detail.

Let us know how you go!!
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons