Ford Forums banner

Need quick advice on buying a vehicle from interstate.

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  reece1 
#1 ·
Sorry i dont know what forum this should really go in but thought there should be people who can help me in here.

Im in melbourne and am going to hopefully buy an XB coupe from NSW. The car is currently registered there till jan next year but i cant get through to the NSW road and traffic authorities to ask them about how i do it because they're shut on weekends. I was hoping someone could tell me what they will require and whether they can suspend the current registration and issue me with an unregistered vehicle permit so i can drive it down here to victoria where i will get it roadworthied and stuff.

Its just the drive down which is the main problem, but if possible id like to keep the registration on the car because it is being sold with it.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
i reckon you won't have any trouble driving it on interstate plates.... all rentals for instance have plates from the state rented from... (if that makes sense)

i'm sure you can cancel the rego there and get a refund on the percentage not used. then put that towards registering it here.

i'd think that you can simply transfer it and may not even need a roadworthy. (here's to hoping!!) lol.

good luck.

#4 ·
It's usually ok to run other states rego for 3 mths (I think) before change required what he said ^^^what he said and u dont need a rwc just aslong as u pay for it before the due date and if u do it straight away u just pay for 12 month rego and than u go to rta or fax them the detailes and thay give u a rebate on the remaining nsw rego . I just done the same thing with my car not long ago when i moved to victoria

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.