Need Some Objective Opinions - EF XR6/VS Calais - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2004, 05:21   #1 (permalink)
EL Series 2 XR8 BOY RACER

Thumbs up Need Some Objective Opinions - EF XR6/VS Calais

Hi guys,

I have been car hunting for a while now, I'm a Ford man so I've mainly been looking around at EF/EL Falcons in my price range (10-15k), however there have been a few VS Commys which have taken my fancy. I have the field narrowed down to two so here is some info.

1995 Ford Falcon XR6 - It looks like it's in good condition, it's done 175000 k's which is the only thing that has me worried. The price tag is $11990. 5sp Manual

1995 Holden VS Calais - This thing is MINT, only done about 128000 k's and the price tag is $13990. 4sp Auto

I was at the yard after hours so I didn't get to look inside or under the hood. Will probably go for a look after uni on Monday and try to get a test drive and a decent look over. I will be looking at the logs from both and probably getting an RAC Inspection on whichever I like most after having a better look.
FYI this will be my second car, I have had my license a bit over 2 years so I'm off my P Plates and I'm looking for something with a bit more balls. I'm currently driving a 1983 Bluebird S/Wagon.
I understand that opinions will be biased considering this is a Ford Forum, but I'm a little worried about the XR having 175000 k's on the clock.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, and if anyone owns these particular cars then an overall review would be great!

Nick.
wildturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2004, 05:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need Some Objective Opinions - EF XR6/VS Calais

Dont rush in too quickly.If you have a car already that runs just keep looking untill the right car comes to you.
As for the km`s I think dont be too worried about it because Ive heard of taxi`s doing close to 500000 km`s and still going.Only thing with higher km cars is the little things like fuel pumps suspension parts and ignition leads and things like that need replacing.
330boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:41   #3 (permalink)
EL Series 2 XR8 BOY RACER

Thanks for the post 330boss, I am certainly not rushing into anything! Have been looking around for about 6 weeks and any decisions I'll be running past my parents and some mechanically minded family members, so I shouldn't get a lemon, thanks again.

Nick.
wildturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:59   #4 (permalink)
.au member

don't worry about the kms, my EF has 175,000 on it and it is still on original everything except a few panels. As long as its been looked after, and you know the rundown on E series' specific needs etc, the XR will be one hell of a car.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:23   #5 (permalink)

The odomoeter is not everything ... u can have a car with high Ks in better condition than one with low or other way around ... just depends on how the previous owners have driven the car ....

test drive both cars and see which eel better to you and DONT USH INTO THINGS

i looked for my car for over 9 months
Old 03-06-2004, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

ok, people have all given the usual advice and I agree with all of it but there is 1 more thing to consider. At some stage you will want to sell this car and upgrade again. So I would seriously look at resale value in a few years time too. In this case I think the XR6 will be the winner by a mile. The depreciation of both will continue however I personally believe that the XR6 will hold a higher value than the VS in the long run. Huge amount of factors involved of course but given current options the EF is the more desirable car.
So all things considered just remember that one day this will be the car that you trade in and I think the EF XR6 will be the better value.

Oh, and the VS is an ugly looking car, the EF XR's had the mean looking shark nose, gotta be worth something

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 22:03   #7 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Everyone has pretty much summed it up, though I'll add my 20c.
Casper is dead right about the re-sale, XR's hold on pretty decently, particularly compared to there poverty pack sisters.

175k's is high(ish), though as most have pointed out, if it's been looked after well, there shouldn't be any serious problems aside from general wear.

On a plus side for the XR is they have a very nice engine which is significantly smoother and more powerful than GM's V6, being a manual is a bonus and adds to that further. The GM auto is also not a very good thing to use, with a lot of flaring and poor shift points.
The XR will also quite easily out handle the Holden even though it has IRS, unfortunately the GM IRS is pretty ordinary, more marketing than actual superiority.

It's actually a no brainer, depending on the condition of the XR........

BTW, the advice to not go to quickly is good, though don't let a good car slip through your fingers. Manual Falcons are difficult to find.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:02   #8 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Manual XR6's are pretty popular too... easier to sell and higher prices! pretty much what sox sed ^^^ good luck! Cheers!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:25   #9 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

While the VS Calais is a nice car (I had a VS Berlina, and the Calais is better than that), the interior of the VN to VS just doesn't do it for me these days. The Ef/EL interior still looks modernish for a 10 year old car - the VS looks similar to my old 1980 Gemini interior. Now, the interior does not make or break a car, but just remember, every single time you drive the car, you are going to be in the interior looking at the dash etc and the Holden one is just not worth looking at.

My very long (sorry) 2c.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:18   #10 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Oh, and the VS is an ugly looking car,
OI!!
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons