New Job = New Budget = New car? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 04:37   #1 (permalink)

New Job = New Budget = New car?

Ok, here's some info on the situation

I'm 19, on Green P's, currently driving a shitty Daewoo, and working at a service full time.

In a months time I start a new computer job, which will net me 800-$1200/week (before tax)

My question is this; Do you think it would be sensible to buy a car?

I'm leaning towards a BA or an XA/XB - probably $25-30,000 at the most I would spend.. possibly $35ish if I went for an XR8/6/6T

I'm in between right now - half thinking I should save/invest it, half thinking 'I hate my Daewoo, I want a nice Ford'

So if you could give me your input, I'd love it!
Falcon-DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 04:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: New Job = New Budget = New car?

Sorry mate but i reckon that anyone on their P's should only be driving front wheel drive 4 cylinder naturally aspirated non-performance cars.

My experience driving and working with young people on their P's is that they tend not to be responsible enough or capable of handling even a standard 6 cylinder rear wheel drive sedan.

However if you did choose to go a Falcon i'd suggest getting every safety option fitted that you can before adding anything else to it.

Just an opinion.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
Safety Commitee Tim

maybe come down a little in the market. You dont want to be paying off a car for the first 5 years of your life as a free driver. I know. Myabe a nice AU1 XR8 or EL2 XR8 or even XR6 with some mods would touch the spot. They wont beat a XR6 turbo, but if speed is all what your after then your too young to be in such a high powered car.AS far as the coupe .. i know nothing about them. oh well my thought s anywhoo.

XR8 MUMBO HERE
EF_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:16   #4 (permalink)
GO_HARD

interesting thread.

i'm in a worse position than Falcon-DT...full time uni student (mechanical engineerint, 4th year @ RMIT), living off youth allowance, and always broke. yet i'm planning to buy a XR6T when i start work hopefully next year!

I've always wondered at what rate the BA I depreciates, because i'd be very interested in picking one up when it drops to around 35k.
xr6turbo_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:37   #5 (permalink)
EF Series Fan

Ha, this kind of reminds me of the situation with me buying my first car. I keep going from the, "c'mon Adam, this is your first car, don't spend alot of money", and, "c'mon Adam, you love cars, don't be unhappy with a shitty car, get a bank loan and buy a nice car.

But yeah, sounds like you're in a better position than I, guess it all comes down to the financial aspect. If you can easily afford it, with change, go for it I say!
Till_Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:39   #6 (permalink)
GO_HARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till_Lind
Ha, this kind of reminds me of the situation with me buying my first car. I keep going from the, "c'mon Adam, this is your first car, don't spend alot of money", and, "c'mon Adam, you love cars, don't be unhappy with a shitty car, get a bank loan and buy a nice car.

But yeah, sounds like you're in a better position than I, guess it all comes down to the financial aspect. If you can easily afford it, with change, go for it I say!
bank loans are a no-no...although i did thought about it. i did a bit of sums a while ago for a typical car loan (the BA XR6T for example) for a 5 year loan you'd have to pay an extra $15-20k on top of the 45k that you borrowed....for about 60k i'd rather buy a F6, a 2nd hand GT, or even a clubbie.

so i decided to save up afterall. the hardwork will pay off!
xr6turbo_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:55   #7 (permalink)

I'm a pretty responsible driver.. not a young hoon

I'm now leaning 75% towards saving the money though, or at the most buying an old XA/XB and putting away for a few years until I have money/time to restore it.
Falcon-DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 20:49   #8 (permalink)

At your age, I went and bought new cars and paid for it by missing out on the housing boom and having to pay 3 times what I could have for our house.

My advice would be to buy something nice but affordable - ie, < $10k and save your money. Look around for some investments and then in 2 or 3 years decide what you want to do. It hasn't afflicted me yet, but a lot of my friends ended up wanting to travel when they hit their mid 20s. Call it a mid 20s crisis :) Or alternatively, you can buy a house before the baby boomers and X-genners make it utterly unattainable - especially if you're in the tech industry like me where there isn't work in rural areas where land is cheap.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Question Re: New Job = New Budget = New car?

I agree with saving and waiting a bit longer. Don't rush into it and buy a heap or something. Also i disagree with some of the replys about about younger people having 4 cylinders. I've got a 450hp+ clevo stroker in the xy which i bought at 19 (now 20) and i have had a 6cylinder which i have drove everyday since i had my P's. I get my opens in 6days and have had no driving offences. There are a lot of young hoons out there i agree. Alot of my mates would kill themselves if they got behind the wheel of my car. But that doesn't make this fella asking for advice and who is obviously a classic ford lover a young, dumb hoon.

The older classics keep there value, whereas the new once depreciate. Also the older classics need more upkeep. So it depend on what your after i suppose. I always wanted a XY GT so stuck with it, have worked 6-7 day weeks for the past 2 1/2 years and bought it outright with money to spare. Loans are ok i suppose but i'm a tight arse and don't like interest and was in no hurry besides your only 19 youve got years ahead to save and look around to make a decision.
Old 05-02-2005, 22:11   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFFAIRMONT
I agree with saving and waiting a bit longer. Don't rush into it and buy a heap or something. Also i disagree with some of the replys about about younger people having 4 cylinders. I've got a 450hp+ clevo stroker in the xy which i bought at 19 (now 20) and i have had a 6cylinder which i have drove everyday since i had my P's. I get my opens in 6days and have had no driving offences. There are a lot of young hoons out there i agree. Alot of my mates would kill themselves if they got behind the wheel of my car. But that doesn't make this fella asking for advice and who is obviously a classic ford lover a young, dumb hoon.
On some levels I agree and others I don't. Its one of those things where 50% of the people can drive responsibly and the other 50% can't. The driving standard in Aus is pretty damn low at the moment, and the young people seem to cop the blame for that, whereas in reality there are plenty of people over the age of 30 that do illegal things all the time. Lead by example and maybe things will improve.

But on the other side of the arguement...

I know I wouldn't like my son having a 450hp car with no airbags, ABS etc (hell even a very safe car doesn't guarantee you live), but really, how can you stop them when its their own money and they are an adult. The best you could do is hope that you've trained them right.

I don't think it would hurt to limit kids on their P's to less powerful cars for a year or two. I do always shake my head at the kids on their red P's driving around in Dad's HSV - I wonder if the traction control is on or off

One thing is for sure, if you're a young bloke on your P's, you don't want to be hearing people saying that sort of thing anyway. But when you get older you may have the same opinion.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons