Ford Forums banner

New Sway Bars on XR6

7K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  61sg 
#1 ·
Got a set of bigger swaybars fitted by whiteline suspension yesterday to the XR6. 60% bigger at the front and 80% bigger at the rear. WOW what an improvement, its pretty much removed almost all of the understeer. Ride quality feels the same, couldn't notice any more bumps or harshness in the ride. Cornering is absolutely brilliant, car has a lot less roll. I recommend new sway bars to anyone who wants better cornering without sacrificing ride quality.

#4 ·
Yep new bushes with the bars. Not sure what the normal price is, i got them really cheap because my mate works there, and they wanted an XR to measure up suspension specs. It was kind of a trade off. I think the kit front and rear with bushes is normally about $500 fitted. (i could be wrong on the price)

#14 ·
BFF21. 27mm Front swaybar @ $125.00
BFF21X. 30mm front swaybar @ $160.00
BFF21Z. 26-30mm adjustable @ $225.00

BFR42. 22mm Rear swaybar @ $160.00
BFR42Z. 21-24mm Adjustable swaybar @ $225.00

www.whiteline.com.au (I couldn't actually see a listing for these on the website, I received this info via e-mail)

#16 ·
I got the adjustable ones. so i would imagine to 30mm wouldn't be too big, although i will measure mine tonight to see what size they are.

#18 ·
Lets hope they are stronger, the falcon has come a long way since the days of the EB. We'll just have to wait and see. Whiteline are a world wide distributor of suspension components, they also have a good reputation for what they do. I can't imagine having too many problems with the new bars. In a worse case scenario i can always refit the old bars if problems should arise.

#21 ·
Hey.. don't shoot the messenger, this was first-hand info past onto me by someone *at whiteline* .. he told me they'd had cases with broken mounts for falcons fitted with the biggest swaybar they sold.

Seriously though, I asked about longer rear upper arms for my EF... we all know they were still too short and weren't rectified until EL (or EF XR if your budget stretched that far at the time). They said longer rear uppers were competely unnecessary on EFs, standard item was fine..... so forgive me if I take any claims as to their expertise with some salt.

You don't have to be a suspension engineer to understand simple physics and geometry!

#22 ·
Your thoughts on mount strength are based on speculation on a model that was released over 10 years ago. Sure you may understand simple physics and geometry, but facts are what count, so lets just see how it goes.

#23 ·
My ED has 26mm front
24mm rear

I was told 30mm is the largest you should go, and not to bothere with anything less cause it won't make enough difference for your money.

Now I am worried about breaking my mounts.

Is it for real that a 30mm bar will hurt my ED's mounts?

#25 ·
94ED_Fairmont said:
My ED has 26mm front
24mm rear

I was told 30mm is the largest you should go, and not to bothere with anything less cause it won't make enough difference for your money.

Now I am worried about breaking my mounts.

Is it for real that a 30mm bar will hurt my ED's mounts?
Unlikely, but depending on level of abuse, anything can happen. Don't forget, the stiffer the swaybar, the lower the grip.

#26 ·
dk_falconXR6 said:
thats right, they used an XR6 Turbo and My XR6 NA to measure up and also to compare. as it turns out, they are the same.
I might be wrong, but I thought that designing new suspension components would require a fair bit of testing ie at the track and on the road to get the balance right.

Are you saying that whiteline designed these swaybars without needing this ie just measured up the mount points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.