New XR6 Ute Envi Green - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 20:36   #1 (permalink)

biggrin New XR6 Ute Envi Green

G'day I am 22 and started work this year after being at uni. I have ordered a new XR6 ute in Envi Green. Manual, Momo gear knob, alarm upgrade, tints, paint protection. This my first Ford (decent one anyway) so I'm fairly excited.

What I want to know from other BA buyers is the best way to run the car in.
There's probably a variety of opinions, but tell me what worked for you!!
TJS-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2004, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Re: New XR6 Ute Envi Green

G'Day mate. Its good to joung guys like you and me buying nice new Falcons. Im 20 and buying at XR6T sedan that I should pick up in a week and-a-half, so i'd also like to know the best way to run it in.

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:22   #3 (permalink)

Probably better posted in the xr6t forums, though im sure you'll get plenty of replies here:)

Cheers
Jim
ozzyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:09   #4 (permalink)

Just go hard... :o)

Maybe some mechanic type guys (or girls) can tell us all if these new Ford engines are 'bench run' at the factory.. and if so, perhaps there's no need to run them in at all.

I hope you enjoy your new Ford as much as me.

Cheers

Steve
SteevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:38   #5 (permalink)
RACE

My opnion is that as long as you warm it up, lets say 10 minutes after start up drive it hard from the word go.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:55   #6 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Welcome aboard mate, nice choice on the colour, be sure to post some pic's when you get it.cheer's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Ok if your 22 and he's 20, please tell me how you guys afford these cars!?!? Im 23 and on a decent wage and i have my AU, spend some money towards modding it each month etc but please tell me the secret LOL :)
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:42   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

I dont think you have to do too much to run them in. Just be careful when its cold I guess, but I think it is important to drive it at a variety of revs - sometimes hard, sometimes not....these engines are pretty much unbreakeable, even as new....

There is some train of thought on here somewhere that a new BA should not be run in on synthetic oil (ie Mobile 1) coz it polishes the bores, and that you should dump it when you get the car and put mineral oil in it. I asked the guys who work on my car and they dont seem to think there is much to this. So I am not sure.

I do know that they take a little while to run in so if it feels a bit stiff, just be patient - they are really nice when they have 5000km under their belts... Another thing that did mine the world of good was to take it on a long trip - I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne and back at about 8000km and it really freed up after - heaps!

When you pick it up, check their paint protection job - they just hire some company to do it and they tend to slop it all over the place and I can't get it off some of the black plastic around the side mirrors, etc. Also just check your paint generally in the sun - they sometimes have paint issues....

Other than that, - just have fun and send the pics!!!!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:14   #9 (permalink)
Snake Handler

Hi Guys,

when you pick up your car the ford dealer normally gives you some guideline about runing in your car " Well mine did anyway" or in your manual for your car it tells you how to go about it. Some ppl think that they don't need to be run in but iv done it with both my cars and have no probs from it.
You just have to try not to over reave the car for the first 1,500 km, Ajust your speed so when you freeway driving doo 100 then maybe 90 then say 95 and 100 again. but like i say your manual for your car will have instructions as well. Or ask your ford dealer.
Christine

Dale President
Christine Newsletter Editor

[For those clubs that think we have more then 1 president i hope this clarifys things for you.

Falcon Cobra Club OF Aus (Vic) Inc

www.falconcobraclubofaus.com

1978 XC Falcon Cobra No 287
1978 XC GXL
1977 XC Ute
2003 BA Sports Pack in Acid Rush

Going Ford Is The Going Thing
Cobra_287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:17   #10 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAU
Ok if your 22 and he's 20, please tell me how you guys afford these cars!?!? Im 23 and on a decent wage and i have my AU, spend some money towards modding it each month etc but please tell me the secret LOL :)
I'll bloody tell ya what it is (for me anyway). Its called HAVING NO LIFE and BEING A TIGHT ARSE and getting $3000 for my 21st that i haven't had yet, because my birthday isn't til' August, and also selling my current car.
All i did was save a minimum of $400/week for a long time, and get a small loan to cover the gap, and thats it. I never go out, i dont smoke, i dont drink. I dont even like spending $15 to get into WSID to watch the street drags (but i did yesterday). Thats how ya do it. Sacrifice my friend. Its no secret. People have been doing it for year.......like me.

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons