Ford Forums banner

New XR6T ECU update

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lightning 
#1 ·
It appears there is a new ECU update for the XR6T, on top of the 3000km service update.

The dealer was not 100% on what it does, but he did mumble something about VCT needing to be reset and so on.

I had mine done and took it for a long fang in the natsho. No problems and no stalling!

The joys of owning a job 1 car

:hy:

#2 ·
I think the update is to do with having a self cleaning of the VCT solenoids during normal running. Apparently this is causing a few problems that you guys are seeing. Funning thing I found out was that if you dont have a problem by about 5000kms then you should not see the fault at all as its a manufacturing process that is at fault that will soon be changed.

G
#5 ·
VCT problems aren't limited to just the XR6T. According to my local dealer there's been "quite a few" cars come back with VCT problems. Apparently gunk (from manufacturing) in the oil is fouling the VCT solenoids, sending the cam into full retarded position casuing the engine to run like crap on startup and stall.

My XT has just hit the 11,000km mark and goes in tomorrow to have the VCT stripped and cleaned. Only showed signs uf trouble this week.

If you want to avoid problems, get an oil change at the 3000km service. Ford won't do it as standard, you have to ask for it.

#6 ·
Your right it is affecting all 6cylinder heads. Changing the oil wont fix it as the "gunk" is in the head and doesn't float around in the oil. It will only shift from the head oil gallery to the VCT actuator. OIl change wont prevent this particular problem. Doesn't hurt to change the oil at 3000kms though!

#7 ·
Shanus: (aka BSR Twin System)
Stop drooling in the oil tank mate - put those magazines away and get back to work. Otherwise we're sending Uncy down to slap you over the head!!!!!

#8 ·
Valve springs

Hey guys be aware of valve spring breakages.Like all new models realises they have there hicups.Its seems to be apparent only on standard motors excluding the XRT.There have only been a few cases but it was the same story when the AU was first realised as the honey comb valve spring had some pouous metal content.Some cases cars only traveled 30km and then K put.

Cya Lukey.

QLD REP 4 EA-ED club.

#10 ·
Black BA said:
VCT problems aren't limited to just the XR6T. According to my local dealer there's been "quite a few" cars come back with VCT problems. Apparently gunk (from manufacturing) in the oil is fouling the VCT solenoids, sending the cam into full retarded position casuing the engine to run like crap on startup and stall.
Really? Hmmmm. Wonder if that's my problem? Only occurs on startup?

Simon....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.