No spare tyre for BAII ??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2002, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
falconS

Question No spare tyre for BAII ???

On another post about cutting the weight of the BAII, some members started talking about cutting weight by removing the spare tyre and using tyres that could be driven for 200 kms on a flat tyre, at 80 km/h. I am curious about this tyre as it seems to be a rather expensive process. Lets look at the costs:

- when cornering at 80 km/h, the flat tyre is not goigf to offer much protection to the alloy rim, especially on some of Australia's poor excuse for roads. This is going to mean a possible rim replacement (possible cost; between $400 and $800 a rim)

- driving on a flat tyre for any longer than about 5 mins is also going to mean having to replace the tyre completely rather than just have it repaired as the sidewall will be cactus. (possible cost; between $180 for 16in rubber and $300 for for 18in)

so we are up to around $580 - $600 if you get a flat tyre on 16in wheels and anywhere from $800 to $1100 to replace ONE wheel and tyre at 18in size.

All this just to save what? 40kg? 50kg? I think Ford would have a hard time trying to justify that one. To me, replacing the current spare tyre system is pointless as the current method works fine. If you have to save some weight somewhere, why not use the european/asian method; just supply a 'space saving' spare tyre. These spares are only half the width of a normal spare and a designed to get the car home or to the tyre service. It is also good as it means the driver doesn't forget to get the flat tyre fixed and therefore is not going to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night with a flat tyre on his car and another flat in the boot. Anyway what do you think? Should Ford employ a space saver for the BAII or continue with the current method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2002, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I say dump the tyre and don't worry about the drive flat or space saver alternative. Maybe I have been lucky but I can't remember when the last time was I had a puncture or flat (slow leaks still happen but less urgent). We all have to let go of that security blanket sometime.

Ford don't give me a spare battery or belts to lug around and in my experience these have been less reliable than my tyres. I'd take the risk. What with mobile phone technology and GPS your not exactly at risk of death on our national highways if you have tyre trouble and how many times have you seen someone ring up the NRMA to change the spare anyway.
Old 10-30-2002, 22:59   #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure about this, but i was under the impression that rego requires all cars to carry a spare of some sort.

I have been failed at a rego inspection (ACT) for not having one. It was a long time ago though, so things may have changed.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 23:44   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Raptor, i initally was thinking like you until i got a tyre blowout in my EF down the freeway. Luckily though it went completely kaput (flat) at the exit ramp of the motor way where i was able to pull over in a relatively safe spot.

Oh yeah thats the benefit of having a 60 series tyre, i had to drive on the rim abit to get the car to the emergency lane, didn't even scratch the rim.

Keep the spare i say. As to these run flat tyres i don't want to pay another $200 per tyre because of this technology.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 00:00   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Re: No spare tyre for BAII ???

Quote:
Originally posted by falconS
Lets look at the costs:
Let's look at the facts...
  • Extensive testing of run-flat tyres at BMW found that there were no noticeable tradeoffs in performance, handling or comfort,
  • Run-flat tyres will not damage the vehicle's rims when run deflated on coarse road surfaces,
  • Run-flat technology features reinforced sidewalls that bear the weight of the vehicle even when totally deflated.

I just don't think that run-flat technology is as damaging to a vehicle as you have made it out to be. If you can back up your costs with any independent tests that support your post then I would be very interested to see it.
Old 10-31-2002, 00:18   #6 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I'm with you on this one RPO83...

They are called 'run-flat' tyres for a reason....they can be "RUN"..."FLAT"....simple really.

I remember watching an episode of Beyond2000 where they were testing these new run-flat tyres....from memory there was very little sacrifice to comfort or control when they were flat.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:06   #7 (permalink)
Proudly Average

ah - but what about cowboys like myself who do extensive country highway/dirt road driving (entirely hypothetically, coz if i had a BA it wouldn't be the rally car that my EA is...)

i know i would DEFINATELY want at least a space saver spare in a new car, preferable a full size (even at the expense of performance) - and i'd prefer not to have to bolt it to the bonnet, 60's Landie style....
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:50   #8 (permalink)
Hollowpoint

Run flats have a rubber ring inside the tyre so even when the tyre goes flat it only drops onto the ring. They are fine to drive on. Dirt and whatever doesnt matter... you wouldnt go racing on a flat tyre though and expect equal performance to the inflated version. This things are emergency stop gaps so keep it real. I don't really remember my last flat... 6 years ago maybe??
With the run flats I have read about I was under the impression you dont replace the inner ring when you replace the tyre so I am not sure why they would cast so much more. Remember most people drive around with a $700 + wheel/tyre in the boot, isn't that a waste too?
Old 10-31-2002, 07:08   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by MADXF

I remember watching an episode of Beyond2000 where they were testing these new run-flat tyres....from memory there was very little sacrifice to comfort or control when they were flat.
If these tyres provide the same level of comfort and handling when flat, as they do unflat(!), why not just use flat tyres all the time??

No more worrying about correct tyre pressures and more importantly you will never ever have to worry about a flat, cause its already flat!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:20   #10 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Quote:
Originally posted by xf_xr6
If these tyres provide the same level of comfort and handling when flat, as they do unflat(!), why not just use flat tyres all the time??

No more worrying about correct tyre pressures and more importantly you will never ever have to worry about a flat, cause its already flat!!!
Run-flat tyres have limitations on how long they can be used for and have a certain speed limit that they can be run at.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons