Noisy oil lifters on my BA XR8..? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 21:43   #1 (permalink)

Noisy oil lifters on my BA XR8..?

Sometimes when I start it I can hear what I believe are the oil lifters clattering away... It only lasts few seconds and then the noise fades away and it's not heard until after it has sat for say 10 hours plus..

The car has done only 9,500kms and it had it's original oil changed near to 6000kms by Alto Ford Artarmon NSW, so yes it does have oil in it....

Am I correct in saying that I should never at anytime hear my oil lifters clattering like I have described..?

What should I do..?

Thanks

Steve
SteevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
Bottle Feed Your Baby

Re: Noisy oil lifters on my BA XR8..?

No way should you be hearing the lifters . There is a BA GT up here that has the same problem that is getting a new engine put in it.. It only has 14000klms on it..... Mabe the boss is having teething problems
Tighe custom grind camshaft, 75mm Throttle body, EGR Spacer, Head pocket work, 11.5 comp, SRP forged Flat tops, Autronic Computer, Pacemakers, twin Mandrel bent 2.5" Exhuast, custom mandrel bent 3" air intake, Tremac 3650, Lowered, 18"s Polished roll bar, intake Manifold, Shortend 4" alloy taillshaft, Leather, Momo wheel and gear nob, Autometer C2 5"shiftlight tacho, air fuel meter. 50-250hp NOS Kit, 4:11 Diff gears, 2 12" subs and sony amp,
NOS 347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:51   #3 (permalink)
O.F.R - BIG DADDY C.E.O

This ticking noise is kind of a characteristic of these overhead cam engines, I believe it has something to do with the cam tensioners. Mine has done it, and still does, and does not use any oil and has run a 13.61 1/4 mile. If it is the same ticking noise I , and numerous others, get on start up it is nothing to worry about.

Cheers, Ray.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:52   #4 (permalink)

I do belive the noise is the timeing chain tensioner, as it is hydrolic.

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Master Tech

The noise is more than likely from the chain tensioner. The o'ring behind the tensioner body to the cyl block splits allowing oil to leak out over long periods of inactivity. The fix for this is to remove the front timing cover and either replace the tensioner or reseal it using a special sealant. Ford are aware of this concern and it can be fixed. You dont have to live it as it is not normal.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:43   #6 (permalink)
BOSSONNOS

Hey SteevO,

I have a friend that has an FPV GT and the death rattle on start up turned out to be two broken rocker arms (on different cylinders) which was found when Ford rebuilt his engine. The noise was originally diagnosed as a timing chain tensioner. Be very firm with the dealer advising them that you want it fixed asap, if they won't fix it hold your foot flat on the throttle on start up, then call a tow truck to take it to the dealer.
Ultra Tune Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:05   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

moses is most likely correct.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 14:36   #8 (permalink)

Yeah Ive had the noise for quite a while now, it goes away after a couple of seconds. I thought it was noisy lifters so Ive been adding lifter quietner additive to my oil which doesnt quite help :/ but if its the cam chain thats noisy, is it easy to do yourself? Im pretty mechanically minded as I work on 4wd's all day long but dont have access to a manual for this. Otherwise what would Ford usually charge to fix this problem if its a major drama?
reaper_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 16:56   #9 (permalink)

You ran 6000 km before the first oil change ??? Good luck with that one.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons