Oil changes between services...
Guys and Girls,
I am contemplating doing my own oil changes between services. I have a BA XR8 and I need to know if I have the process right.
1. Go out and buy enough oil for the task, an oil filter and a sump washer
2. Get the car up to normal operating temp then park it on level ground and let it sit for 10 minutes before continuing
3. Undo the sump plug and let the oil drain out
4. Remove the oil filter
5. Wait for the oil to stop dripping...
6. Replace the sump washer and re-attach the sump plug
7. Replace and re-attach the oil filter
8. Remove the oil filler cap and pour in the required amount of oil
9. Replace the oil cap
10. Run the car to get it back to operating temp, stop it and let it sit for 10 minutes and check the oil level..
11. If needed add 100mls of oil at a time and repeat step 10 until the oil reaches the full mark
12 Replace the oil filler cap
Is this it.?
I used to do my own oil changes 3 cars ago and I used to hand remove and tighten the oil filter, is this advisable or should I get a filter tool..? Does the sump plug need torque setting.. how tight does everything need to be..? i.e. hand tight + a 1/4, 1/2 turn or similar..
I'd appreciate any info that might help.