Oil Usage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2004, 00:03   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Oil Usage

Hi Guys and Gals I’m new to this so be gentle

The reason I have joined is I have just been advised that I will need to have an oil usage monitor done on my FPV Pursuit Ute 290 boss

When I made some calls to some dealers this is something they are aware of in the Boss 290, as the rings are too hard. The car has only done 4500 kms and has used nearly all of the oil in that time, but mainly in the last 600kms on open road

Is anyone else having this problem or has been told this by a dealer. I have written to FPV so it will be interesting to see what the response is

Is this not the same fault that HSV had with their oil usage

Sorry if this has been covered before in this forum, but as I have mentioned earlier I’m new.

Boss 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 03:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 300
Hi Guys and Gals I’m new to this so be gentle

The reason I have joined is I have just been advised that I will need to have an oil usage monitor done on my FPV Pursuit Ute 290 boss

When I made some calls to some dealers this is something they are aware of in the Boss 290, as the rings are too hard. The car has only done 4500 kms and has used nearly all of the oil in that time, but mainly in the last 600kms on open road

I think these things tend to have a bedding in problem of the rings at times. The earlier engines had a different piston/ring combo in them and unless you gave them a hard time from the day one the rings didnt bed in then the bores become glazed and you get oil usage. Putting a few kms on the clock can sometimes help. Also because of the 15000 km servicing (WTF?) synthetic oil was run as a factory fill until recently. When I build engines hot or not I always use mineral oil to allow the engine to run in then change it at 1000kms or so. Running in procedue seems to be very important with the 290 engine so if it continues to burn oil and you get an engine follow it to the letter. hope this helps
dumbarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:26   #3 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

The use of synthetic oil for bedding in is not a contributor of oil consumption.

Many engines are factory filled with Synthetic Engine Oil; GM Corvette, Porsche have both used Mobil 1 for several years.
Most of the Mercedes range is factory filled with FUCHS Supersyn 5W30.
Audi & VW are Supersyn 0W30.
HSV are Mobil 1.

The problem with the GM LS-1 5.7 engine was a very slight incorrect piston to bore size.

I don’t know what FPV mention in their books about running in a new engine, but I doubt it would be to flog the hell out of the car to bed in the rings correctly.

How did you drive the car for the first 1500km? (And be honest, we’ll still respect you)
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:50   #4 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

There's enough comments about this on the forums.. Go through some of the older posts and you'll find people get very upset about this topic - and others egg the issue on...

Welcome to the Forums..

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 16:21   #5 (permalink)

If you go to the fpv.com.au there is running procedure there that you can follow.
I think that fpv are running mineral oil in there cars now for the first 3000km. Could be wrong. Not the first time.Then changing them over to Castrol synthetic engine oil.
TS 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 16:43   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
The use of synthetic oil for bedding in is not a contributor of oil consumption.

Many engines are factory filled with Synthetic Engine Oil; GM Corvette, Porsche have both used Mobil 1 for several years.
Most of the Mercedes range is factory filled with FUCHS Supersyn 5W30.
Audi & VW are Supersyn 0W30.
HSV are Mobil 1.

The problem with the GM LS-1 5.7 engine was a very slight incorrect piston to bore size.

I don’t know what FPV mention in their books about running in a new engine, but I doubt it would be to flog the hell out of the car to bed in the rings correctly.

How did you drive the car for the first 1500km? (And be honest, we’ll still respect you)
Well I was told from the dealer that I should open her up but not thrash it and that was what we did from time to time, but I have never dropped the clutch or driven it hard while not at operating temp.

When I went to the dealer in resent times, he told me that I need to give it a hard time, again don't rev the box out of it but make it work hard when driving

My concern with that is all the running gear is also having large amounts of load placed upon it and I know a couple of guys that have had their gear boxes let go and diffs as well in the XR8’S.

From what I have been told by a dealers is that the gear box and diff are the same as the XR8's but the motor is producing heaps more torque, so I would have thought that it might be ok to make the motor work, but what about the rest of the running gear. I can see it now, go to the dealer with a gearbox problem or diff, and have the service manager tell me that the box or diff gave up because I have been driving it to hard.

From what some of you have said in reply to my post, there have been problems with the 290 boss motors and engine oil problems.

Thanks guys for the welcome and the feedback.
Boss 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 17:42   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
From what I have been told by a dealers is that the gear box and diff are the same as the XR8's but the motor is producing heaps more torque, so I would have thought that it might be ok to make the motor work, but what about the rest of the running gear. I can see it now, go to the dealer with a gearbox problem or diff, and have the service manager tell me that the box or diff gave up because I have been driving it to hard.

From what some of you have said in reply to my post, there have been problems with the 290 boss motors and engine oil problems.

The way I see it, if you drive on the street (no track work or down the strip) and the car is unmodified, then the factory limiters put into the car, should save it from getting damaged. Unless you use a factory stock car in a place where it was not designed to work (track/strip) then your warranty will hold (read your warranty agreement).

Personally if I was to get a GT, i'd let the car warm for about 30 seconds when I pick it up from the dealer, and then be leaving nice set of black ones down the road and prolly go through 2 tanks of fuel for the first 500km. And then change the oil and filter.

But thats me :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 18:51   #8 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Well I was told from the dealer that I should open her up but not thrash it and that was what we did from time to time, but I have never dropped the clutch or driven it hard while not at operating temp.

When I went to the dealer in resent times, he told me that I need to give it a hard time, again don't rev the box out of it but make it work hard when driving

My concern with that is all the running gear is also having large amounts of load placed upon it and I know a couple of guys that have had their gear boxes let go and diffs as well in the XR8’S.

I was always told that the best way to 'run-in' a motor, was to take the vehicle on the highway and vary the speed between 80 & 110km/h. After that some hill driving, this should be done with out loading the motor too much (so use the gears) but do not over rev. Revs for the first 1500km's should be kept under 3500RPM, then after that light squirts to just below red-line.

First thing I did when; visited my rellies in the country, did flat highway & did about 300km's. The next week wewent for a drive in the hills visiting country towns.

It will take upto 15,000km for an engine to be fully run-in.

Take your car for a drive up your local mountain and give a few good shots on the 'go-pedal'.
Good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:59   #9 (permalink)

just get out there and give it some stick, you have 4500k's on the clock. forget running it in like the old days, i gave mine shit from day one and still have a full sump of oil and i now have 11500k's on the clock.
xr8boss290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 14:03   #10 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

If owners take the time & effort to run in the engine/drive train correctly, there will be a long term benefit of longevity, power, reliability.

If running-in was not an important part of an engine/drive train building process, why do the race teams run in there vehicles?

http://fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.419
Engine run-in procedure
Ford Performance Vehicles recommends all customers use the following procedures for the ultimate performance and protection of the Boss 290 V8 engine.

In the first 750 kilometres of travel:
Avoid exceeding 4500rpm

Accelerate positively where appropriate in all gears, particularly when driving up hills

On long stretches of travel, vary engine speeds by occassionally using lower gears while maintaining a constant speed, when safe to do so

Where possible, apply high engine loads for short periods of time by using high gears at speeds below 60km/h

While driving between the first 750 kilometres and 1500 kilometres of travel:
Progressively increase engine speeds up to 5500rpm with occasional use of full-throttle acceleration while remaining within the legal speed limits

On long stretches of travel, vary engine speeds by occasionally using lower gears while maintaining a constant speed, when safe to do so

Where possible, apply high engine loads for short periods of time by using high gears at speeds below 60km/h

Please see the Owner's Manual for more information on how best to protect your engine with regular maintenance checks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons