Onroad Costs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 22:46   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Onroad Costs

Could somebody tell me what I would be looking at in the way of onroad costs in Sydney for an XR6 optioned up to about 40000?

Never bought a new car before, so don't know really what I'd be up for?

Cheers!
plee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 23:49   #2 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

The last car I bought (December 2002) had a sticker price of $41,000 & on roads were about $4000.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:02   #3 (permalink)

rego ~$350
CTP ~$350-550
stamp duty ~$1200
dealer delivery etc ~$900-1300

the first three you can't get out of. the last you should easily haggle down to $200 as that is in essence the true vaule of the delaer delivery/inspection charges (and even that is probably on the high side)
kappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks for that.

I'm planning to pay cash, so that should definitely help the haggling methinks...
Old 04-16-2003, 15:44   #5 (permalink)

My dealer in Canberra wouldn't haggle at all over these costs. Not 1c. Dealer delivery charges have to be the biggest RIP OFF. All they are charging for is to wash the car. They don't actually check anything.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 16:05   #6 (permalink)

In brisbane $2955 on road were for a XR6T with sunroof & prem. sound.
Old 04-16-2003, 16:10   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by plee
Thanks for that.

I'm planning to pay cash, so that should definitely help the haggling methinks...
And if you have a business, you could even try asking for fleet discount :) Up to $7k saving.
Old 04-16-2003, 16:11   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Unfortunately I don't so I'll have to try my luck without it :)
Old 04-16-2003, 16:32   #9 (permalink)
T/Control for sheilas

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
My dealer in Canberra wouldn't haggle at all over these costs. Not 1c. Dealer delivery charges have to be the biggest RIP OFF. All they are charging for is to wash the car. They don't actually check anything.
I sorta agree but what about some cars that might have stone chips or any paint defect via transport to the dealers. Who do you reckon pays to get that fixed? I have also heard that the basic cost of getting a car delivered is $250. Then they probably account $500 for any fixes etc. Another $200 to cover the cost of your first free service cause Ford doesnt pay for that. And the nett result is around a $1000 or so. Plus any asscesseries you might add to the car, you only pay for the cost of the part and not labour.

1 good tip is to go to your local dealer, buy your car from them and try to build some rapport with the dealer. Dealers are human so odds are, you can build a relationship with them and turn the whole thing into a good experience. Someone wise once told me that quality lasts long after price is forgotten. That makes sense to me becuase the most important thing is service.
Old 04-16-2003, 17:15   #10 (permalink)

What if they don't have any defects? Why should the new owner be charged for repair of damage that was never there? The basic cost of getting a car delivered is extremely variable... yet dealer delivery doesn't vary much whether you get your car in Perth or Geelong! As for accessories, they are marked up exhorbitantly... I imagine the dealer takes a sizeable cut of that. Not to mention the profit in things like paint/fabric protection and window tint. The majority of issues picked up at the first service are warranty-related ... they are charged back to Ford. There is no justification for upwards of $1k for delivery/inspection. It is a rort... the public should collectively refuse to pay it. Maybe the dealers will catch up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons