Opinions on Chips ......... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 13:11   #1 (permalink)

Opinions on Chips .........

Thinking of buying a new chip for my AU XR8... The car specs are below.. I noticed on Chiptorque website they have chips for $595.00. This seems a good price.. Has anybody experience with this chip .. Below are the specs from the chip off their website... My car has a few mods and I think a chip would work ok.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 102319.gif (41.6 KB, 42 views)

“ NOT ALL DRUGS ARE GOOD - SOME ARE GREAT “
nerrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Opinions on Chips .........

If you do a search there are a number of threads on this topic. IMO don't do it, the V8 EEC is more than capable of adapting to most mods and keeping good AF ratios and the factory EEC often learns its way around the plug in chips. If you want to get a chip, make sure it is a real time dyno tuned one but they normally over $1k, and even then I would only recommend them on fairly modified engines.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 15:46   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
If you do a search there are a number of threads on this topic.
Certainly is. If you go to aufalcon.com and look at the chip challenge there is quite a bit of info in there.

Quote:
IMO don't do it, the V8 EEC is more than capable of adapting to most mods and keeping good AF ratios
Yes, the V8 EEC V doesn’t seem to suffer quite as badly as the I6 with the default “run rich setting” however it would still be far from the optimal A/F ratio with the std EEC settings.

Quote:
and the factory EEC often learns its way around the plug in chips.
Not true. The EEC V has absolutely no way to relearn that it has a chip and compensate to try to get back to factory settings. In fact, the EEC V settings are totally overruled by a ChipTorque chip. The settings a locked in, it will not adjust itself. Simply not possible.

Quote:
If you want to get a chip, make sure it is a real time dyno tuned one but they normally over $1k,
Contrary to popular belief, the ChipTorque chip IS real time dyno tunable. I have had it done on my car, as has Sylox and a number of other ChipTorque customers.
The other thing to consider is getting the “preset” $595 chip (by preset, that is preset specifically to your car however not fine tuned on a dyno). This would be around a 90% tune, more accurate than you would expect. You can then orgaise for Lachlan to tune it on a dyno (costs about $200 or so) at a later date if you wish. Still comes in well under $1000.

Quote:
and even then I would only recommend them on fairly modified engines.
Even with just an exhaust and intake the effectiveness of a chip (be it XEDE, ChipTorque or Unichip) can most certainly be felt and benefit the car. It is unlikely to produce a large increase in the peak rwkw but low rev throttle response and take off will almost certainly gain some benefit.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 16:35   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Obviously some have had good sucess with chips, however a large number I have seen in a E-series V8 have had problems. I have also seen a number of dyno runs before and after removing a chiptorque chip and power has actully increased in a couple of cases along with drivability. Thats why I made the point about making sure it is dyno tuned to suit your car, that way you minimise any chance of error. BTW, the factory V8 AF ratios run from 14.7 at light throttle to 12.5 at WOT which is fairly good, so any gains from a chip would mainly come from timing curves.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blood

As Casper has discussed the EEC V has a hard coded memory map which contains a matrix of variables for air, fuel, spark and in some cases cam timing.

The Chiptorque that plugs into J3 on EEC IV and EEC V replace this memory map completely and reference the data via J3. As long as the tuner knows what they are doing this is going to be better than the factory tune.

I'd suggest that if something didn't make more power or get better fuel economy on J3 vs factory tune then i'd think the ECU needs replacing or at least check the quality of the contacts on the J3 plug. A dirty or corroded plug could affect resistance and therefore the accuracy of data that gets pulled from the Chiptorque.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 17:34   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys ......... I also just rang unichip - they said they could fit chip and dyno tune for $1290
Chiptorque said they can fit and dyno tune for around $850

So whats the better chip ?????????
From what I know - Unichip can get between 30 to 40kw at the rear in a modified car - and Chiptorque will get about 20 to 30kw at the rear.
These are there figures of course................

Has anyone had experience with these chips....

Old 12-06-2004, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad
Thanks guys ......... I also just rang unichip - they said they could fit chip and dyno tune for $1290
Chiptorque said they can fit and dyno tune for around $850

So whats the better chip ?????????
From what I know - Unichip can get between 30 to 40kw at the rear in a modified car - and Chiptorque will get about 20 to 30kw at the rear.
These are there figures of course................

Has anyone had experience with these chips....
Bot chips can be tuned to exactly the same state of tune. There is no "this is better than that" as far as tuning goes. They both do exactly the same thing to tune a car. Air, fuel, timing. So saying that one can get "more" than the other is not true. It is a case of the actual tuner doing their job and the cars potential.

I'll restate here what I have said on a couple of other threads. A chip, any chip, can not make power. It is not like a turbo or exhaust or cam change. It has no ability to improve a cars potential power. What it does do is maximise that potential. It can only take what the car is and put it in as near to perfect state a tune is possible. Thats how it makes power, but takeing the car, as is, and maximising its current potential. It can not add to that potential, only maximise it.
As for the "better chip", that comes down to what you want it to do. Both have capabilities the other doesnt, both have there strong and weak points.

Have you read the chip challenge on aufalcon.com yet? It will certainly clear a bit of this up for you and give you an idea of what each chip can do.

For the record, it was my car that was used for the chip challenge so I got to try them both. Both are fantastic units, both will tune a car exceptionally well. In the end I chose the Chiptorque. This was due to a number of reasons however, having and auto and further plans for my car, it offered more adjustments than the unichip for my car. In the end it was my preferance but, to be honest, I would not have been too upset with the Unichip either.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
Both chips can be tuned to exactly the same state of tune. There is no "this is better than that" as far as tuning goes. They both do exactly the same thing to tune a car. Air, fuel, timing. So saying that one can get "more" than the other is not true. It is a case of the actual tuner doing their job and the cars potential.
Spot on. It is up to the tuner involved and their experience with the chip you are using and the car it is going on to maximise the possible output and refinement.

A quality tuner is worth their weight in gold.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 20:07   #9 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

AU XR8, 5 spd manual, Full Tickford Body Kit, Bi Plane Rear Spoiler, Cold Air Induction Kit, TS50 Throttle Body, 2.5 Dual Lukey Exhaust, 17 Tickford Wheels, Series II Headers, KN Filter.

I'm very happy with my chip(unichip) but like some have said it's prob best to do once you have some decent mods already to your car.

Do what Casper said and read the article on aufalcon.com

The one v8 that I've seen that had a chip done made a good improvement over standard. From what I hear the factory tune for the efi v8's isn't that fantastic to begin with.

Love the sig by the way.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:27   #10 (permalink)

Just read article on aufalcon.com.au - really cleared things up.........
Will probably opt for the chiptorque - due to price..
I guess $800 for 30kw is worth the while......

Are the chiptorque tuners worth going to . . I am in Coffs Harbour and plan to take the car to the Gold Coast Chiptorque supplier ???????

Cheers guys -thanks again for the expert advise... Will let you know how i got on........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons