Overkill? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 00:17   #1 (permalink)

Question Overkill?

Lately i have been looking at cars to buy, and i particularly like the EF & EL fairmont ghias. I am turning 18 in less than a month, and am wondering would an EF/EL Ghia be too outrageous for a first car, or is it acceptable to buy such a luxo first car if i can (just) afford it? Thanks.
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 00:23   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Overkill?

i dont know where you live but there is currently an EF Ghia on ebay starting at $4000. factory body kit and DVD player. looks alright. only thing really wrong is the leather seats have cracked. check it out. nothing wrong with something nice for a first car. just make sure you get full comp insurance.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....484857291&rd=1

Last edited by davway; 07-19-2004 at 00:24. Reason: updated
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
AUPS Member

If you've got the money go for it! Their not that new anymore, getting towards 10 years old now so you wont look to poosh :). Im only 19 and I have a AU XR6.

Just dont be stupid in it! Get some experience before you try stuff or else you wont have a car.
cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

overkill?? no way! just make sure you buy it yourself and not your parents.......

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:42   #5 (permalink)

overkill?
no way

a friend just turned 18 and baught an au2 fairmont ghia for a first car.
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 22:40   #6 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
overkill?? no way! just make sure you buy it yourself and not your parents.......
Or if worst comes to worst maybe you could let your parents help you out. I know I would make that concession to own an EL Ghia. IMHO they are a great car and underrated when compared to other Luxo/Sports cars for a similar price.
Old 07-20-2004, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
.au member

Oh please, dont start whinging cos your parents bought you a car. Yes, i openly admit my parents bought me my EF cos there's no way i could afford to buy a $10k car myself, yet i didnt want a cheaper, dodgier one that i would have to spend thousands to fix.

If your parents are happy to either buy it for you, or go halves in it or something, then why not - that way you dont have to worry about mr bank manager coming after you, or having a loan over your head.

But of course, be nice and pay back your parents when you can afford to .
Old 07-20-2004, 01:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Oh please, dont start whinging cos your parents bought you a car. Yes, i openly admit my parents bought me my EF cos there's no way i could afford to buy a $10k car myself, yet i didnt want a cheaper, dodgier one that i would have to spend thousands to fix.

If your parents are happy to either buy it for you, or go halves in it or something, then why not - that way you dont have to worry about mr bank manager coming after you, or having a loan over your head.

Im not whinging and my parents havent bought me a car. Im paying for it myself, if i buy it.
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:02   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura

My parents paid for half of my car when i first got it, paid it back in 12 months, got my finance approved today for my BA xr8. Now just to fine someone stupid enough to insure a modded ba xr8 to a 19 yr old.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:37   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocko
Lately i have been looking at cars to buy, and i particularly like the EF & EL fairmont ghias. I am turning 18 in less than a month, and am wondering would an EF/EL Ghia be too outrageous for a first car, or is it acceptable to buy such a luxo first car if i can (just) afford it? Thanks.
Hi Mate, well i am 19 and have just purchased and awaiting delivery of my New Envi XR6, cant wait till i get it, my first car was a VX series 2 exec, and i never thourght that was overkill, if you can afford it, get it, EL EF Ghia is not outragous for a first car, got for it mate and enjoy it
GT-P_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons