Ford Forums banner

performance chips

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  taximan 
#1 ·
people have said don't get a chip unless your car has modifications. what modifications should your car have? all I have is an exhaust, air filter, custom 3" air intake pipe and cold air induction. what chip could i get and how much rwkw gain would i get??

im not to sure on performance chips...
cheers, rob

#2 ·
you don't really need a chip till you make a change the computer can't work out (IE a really wild cam or some major head work)
a chip on your setup won't make much differance dispite the claims of the vendors.
Chiptorque are really good though when you want to get one.

#3 ·
I have an EBII and put a powerchip gold in myself the other day
u can feel the difference..
I've had extractors put on and exaust and reconditioned the heads a year ago. U hear people say they don't work and some say it does.. I can't figure it out, but it definetly works in my car.

#4 ·
I think the thing is that they make a differance in driving but they don't lift the actual power produced by the motor.
I know a lot of people have actully found from dyno tests that they lost max power from there motor with the chip but it was smoother to drive and more mid rev pull so they left it there.

#5 ·
carazy said:
you don't really need a chip till you make a change the computer can't work out (IE a really wild cam or some major head work)
a chip on your setup won't make much differance dispite the claims of the vendors.
Chiptorque are really good though when you want to get one.
Do you know much about the Chiptorque?

I brought and EB XR8 Yesterday and it has headers and sports system and Chiptorque.

One thing I have noticed was she likes to go all the way to redline on the tacho with the auto box.

After driving an Au1 XR8 several years ago, the EB feel quicker and more torquey to me.

Cheers
Mark

#6 ·
one of my mates mates works for chiptorque in Queensland development.
They're great if you ask me cause once they've been installed you can get them reprogramed after mods and even get software upgrades from them for next to nothing.
I'll be getting one once I go turbo to allow extra fuel settings.
Very similar to Unichips. What would you like to know? I'll find out for you.

#7 ·
hello carazy!!!!! i have a question, whats the best price you can get me on a chiptorque chip and will it fit into the EBII computer and still be able to fit the black plastic cover over the top?

oh PUHLEEEEESE can i have one!?!?!??!

#8 ·
Carazy,

I did not know they were re-programable. I thought they were just another plug in chip and drive away. This is the first car I have owned which has been chiped in any way.

I always had the view that a chip was a wank and to gain max performance you would have to use headers, sports exhuast My XR8 has both), air box, injectors, etc.

This car I have feels different to other XR8's I have driven, all of them stockers.

Do they have a web site I can look at?

#10 ·
from the web site

All ChipTorque performance chips have a built-in upload port so they can be reprogrammed an infinite number of times. Buy the hardware once and upgrade the software as many times as required. It's no longer necessary to wait until all modifications are completed before purchasing a performance chip.
Simply return your performance chip to us advising recent changes. A new program will be installed for the small price of $95.00*. This will save the astute purchaser $$$ and get the best performance from your mods sooner.
All ChipTorque Performance Chips have a 14 day Satisfaction Guarantee.

#11 ·
Hey Rollin I was just thinking (and being a post whore from the look of it)
Why not just remove the board from the outer ECU casing and make another case out of tin that hides the chip?
Easy to make and impossible to tell the differance.

#12 ·
hello carazy would you like to ask your mate about the chip being fitted to a duel fuel AU as chiptorque do not answer their e-mails and their Adelaide agent does not advise fitting a chip to duel fuel cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.