Please help a potential XR6 buyer ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:04   #1 (permalink)

Please help a potential XR6 buyer !

Hi Ford team !!

I am looking to purchase a BA XR6 and have found one in a local yard. I wondered if you could assist me in understanding whether this sounds like a decent deal because frankly the deal appeared to be a little too good (!).

The vehicle is a 2004 BA XR6 in Blueprint, automatic (no turbo). Just a STOCK XR6 with no options at all. The XR6 has done just over 19,000kms and the body and interior appeared IMMACULATE. I could find no evidence of front or rear end collisions/repairs.

The dealer had a ticket price on the car of $32990. Before I even opened my mouth to speak the salesman casually informed me that "I can probably do that car around the $31,000 mark". This left me a bit suspicious.. why would this guy be haggling down before he even got any form of impression of what type of buyer I was ?

So my question is, does the price of $31k sound a bit low for an XR6 with the above specs ? I tend to think it is low from the other yards I've been too.. but actually I've noticed that prices GREATLY VARY in XR6's from dealer to dealer and also widely vary on sites like www.carguides.com.au etc.

I am ready to buy but CANNOT take any chances of getting myself a lemon or a car that has, for some NEGATIVE reason, been heavily discounted... so any advice on how this deal sounds to experienced Falcon buyers would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 02:50   #2 (permalink)
Can't wait to be in a V8

Re: Please help a potential XR6 buyer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000
Hi Ford team !!

I am looking to purchase a BA XR6 and have found one in a local yard. I wondered if you could assist me in understanding whether this sounds like a decent deal because frankly the deal appeared to be a little too good (!).

The vehicle is a 2004 BA XR6 in Blueprint, automatic (no turbo). Just a STOCK XR6 with no options at all. The XR6 has done just over 19,000kms and the body and interior appeared IMMACULATE. I could find no evidence of front or rear end collisions/repairs.

The dealer had a ticket price on the car of $32990. Before I even opened my mouth to speak the salesman casually informed me that "I can probably do that car around the $31,000 mark". This left me a bit suspicious.. why would this guy be haggling down before he even got any form of impression of what type of buyer I was ? Thats what they do. You will find with abit of work you could even get it another 2k less again!!!

So my question is, does the price of $31k sound a bit low for an XR6 with the above specs ? I tend to think it is low from the other yards I've been too.. but actually I've noticed that prices GREATLY VARY in XR6's from dealer to dealer and also widely vary on sites like www.carguides.com.au etc.

I am ready to buy but CANNOT take any chances of getting myself a lemon or a car that has, for some NEGATIVE reason, been heavily discounted... so any advice on how this deal sounds to experienced Falcon buyers would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

HI,
Mate if you do your research you will know a good deal if you come across one. As far as worrying about any issues with the car it still has the balance of new car warranty, so in that respect you have nothing to worry about. I find that if you stick to reputable dealers you usually can't go wrong. ie ford dealers. They will usually do checks on the car as they have got their name to worry about and don't wanna sell duds.

You can ask the salesman if it has been in an accident, by law he has to tell you (if he knows).

Hope this helped. Good luck.
GTposiblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:12   #3 (permalink)

well to me that sounds like a good deal not a great just a good

u can get much better deals but

fairmont ghia if u like it can be about that price 32k - 33k with around 20kms - 30kms
freddykingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:21   #4 (permalink)

you can always get it checked befor buying it.... RACQ or something like that.... listen carfully when you test drive it... good luck ... rattchrl
rattchrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:10   #5 (permalink)
Cam

I looked at one the dealer only wanted $27 000 for, 17 000 k's ... previous owner a church! ... showroom condition, I couldn't figure out the low price either, never seen one under $30 000 before and this was a dealer too! ... the salesman was desperate to offload it, I was only tyre kicking in the yard and had no intention of purchasing it anyway, it was a Toyota yard so maybe they just wanted to offload it pronto as traded ??? dunno?
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 14:18   #6 (permalink)
XR Madness!

Check to see if it is a Mark1 or Mark2. The mark2 XR's came out in the later months of 2004. Note that there is no difference between them except in the manual version which change from a 5 speed to a 6 speed. Still, the mark2 version should hold a slightly better market value.

I bought my Mark1 XR (exactly the same as the one you are looking at) in October '04 for $36000 drive away. It was brand new and the dealer still made money on it. That suggests (depending on condition and km's) that if it is a mark1 u are looking at, u should be able to get a slightly better price than what they are putting to u.

Remember that ford has flooded the market with heaps of BA XR6's so the resale value will end up abit shitty. But they are the best looking car around so it may take a while to talk them down.

Hope it all goes well.
Old 03-12-2005, 18:24   #7 (permalink)

why not go look at the auctions around your area ive seen xr8's and turbos go for 35g with about 35000k's on em.
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:47   #8 (permalink)
BOSS 260

Being a 2004 blueprint car, it shouldnt be more than 30g's.
That being because blueprint was dinscontinued in june 04, so the car is nearly a year old, will need rego in a few months,probly need tyres in about 10-15000 km's.
xr6's are around 40g's brand new i think, so yeh i thkn 30 or less is on money for that car.
Old 03-13-2005, 18:14   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. There would be allot of 2nd hand stock coming on the market. I went to the Auctions last week, an April 2004 Blood Orange with 16,000 Km went for $29,000. This price does not include auctions costs, it may have no rego too being and ex govt fleet car.

The advantage of buying from dealers is you have time to test drive, have it checked and if you purchased at Auction add other costs it's not probably worth the effort. Dealers can get cars at trade in prices and also attend Auctions that the public can't go to. I have seen many cars at Auction where people pay too much.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 19:30   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie
Sounds like a good deal to me. There would be allot of 2nd hand stock coming on the market. I went to the Auctions last week, an April 2004 Blood Orange with 16,000 Km went for $29,000. This price does not include auctions costs, it may have no rego too being and ex govt fleet car.

The advantage of buying from dealers is you have time to test drive, have it checked and if you purchased at Auction add other costs it's not probably worth the effort. Dealers can get cars at trade in prices and also attend Auctions that the public can't go to. I have seen many cars at Auction where people pay too much.
but those people dont have much up top, the costs are only minimal to what u think like maybe $700, as well u would clearly know if a car had no rego i would be pretty sure it is illegal to hide info on a car especially rego.

me old man picked up a 2003 ba for 22g drive away including costs from auctions ,car yards wanted 24g for same car and same k's not including costs.

cheers
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons