pls help! drop in fuel economy with new plugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
Silhouette AU2 XLS Marlin

pls help! drop in fuel economy with new plugs

Hi guys,

I've bought an AUII i6 falcon ute with about 96000kms on it and i just changed the spark plugs as the ones in it were absolutely rooted! My Brother said they were in the worst condition he'd ever seen and was suprised the car actually started -he reckoned they were the original plugs from when the car was new!
The best i could get with the old plugs was around 8.5km/L (when i was driving really really gently) and i've just calculated it again with the new plugs and i'm getting 7.7km/L... pretty pissed about this! i was expecting to get slightly more with new plugs as the old ones were SO BAD! Could it be anything to do with maybe putting the wrong plugs in? i noticed the new ones were slightly longer than the old ones, but they're ok and not clashing with the pistons. They were the ones that Repco gave me for the AU so they should be good. Could it be the leads? How do i tell if they need replacing too?

Any help would be awesome, sorry to sound like the dumb girl but i'm no mechanic yet lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 00:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: pls help! drop in fuel economy with new plugs

Nice ute am no mech either but had similer problem with a comm ute(not mine the girlfriends) but after carbon clean and air filter change should get a bit better dont think the plugs you put in should affect its fuel use
Old 01-05-2005, 00:23   #3 (permalink)

Which plugs did you put in?

The factory fitted ones are Platinum tip or something and they're meant to last for about 100-120 thousand kilometres. They are a lot better than the standard plugs. If they have a very tiny and sharp electrode top, then those are the ones and they may look like they're rooted but they might actually still be fine.

Try and get the NGK Iridium Tip plugs next time. They are about $18 a piece but I heard they were very good.

FlknTuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 00:24   #4 (permalink)

By the way, that's a fine looking ute you've got there!

FlknTuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:32   #5 (permalink)

Iridium plugs were fitted to falcons from 12/00. Get a set, I put a set in my eb & got 1l/100km improvement on highway. Also they are good for 150000km. Also set the gap to 1.3mm if not already set.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:02   #6 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Sounds like that could be the problem!
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 16:08   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlknTuff
Which plugs did you put in?

The factory fitted ones are Platinum tip or something and they're meant to last for about 100-120 thousand kilometres. They are a lot better than the standard plugs. If they have a very tiny and sharp electrode top, then those are the ones and they may look like they're rooted but they might actually still be fine.

Try and get the NGK Iridium Tip plugs next time. They are about $18 a piece but I heard they were very good.

ahah it all makes sense now! i thought they might be different. they are in the bin now neway :(
Old 01-05-2005, 16:34   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys!
Might give those iridium plugs a go
Old 01-06-2005, 14:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin_girl
Hi guys,

I've bought an AUII i6 falcon ute with about 96000kms on it and i just changed the spark plugs as the ones in it were absolutely rooted! My Brother said they were in the worst condition he'd ever seen and was suprised the car actually started -he reckoned they were the original plugs from when the car was new!
The best i could get with the old plugs was around 8.5km/L (when i was driving really really gently) and i've just calculated it again with the new plugs and i'm getting 7.7km/L... pretty pissed about this! i was expecting to get slightly more with new plugs as the old ones were SO BAD! Could it be anything to do with maybe putting the wrong plugs in? i noticed the new ones were slightly longer than the old ones, but they're ok and not clashing with the pistons. They were the ones that Repco gave me for the AU so they should be good. Could it be the leads? How do i tell if they need replacing too?

Any help would be awesome, sorry to sound like the dumb girl but i'm no mechanic yet lol!

How did you arrive at the fuel figures ?

I note you state km/L, did you calculate that from the trip computers readings of L/100K ? (if you have a trip computer that is)
shanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 16:22   #10 (permalink)

no don't have a trip computer unfortunately!
just calculated it by fuelling right up (resetting odometer), driving around for a few hundred kms and then fuelling up again - however many kms i did divided by the amount of litres it took me.
So i was getting 11.76L/100km and now it's 13L/100km which i think isn't great for an AU i6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons