plug and play ECU for EA to ED - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2003, 01:52   #1 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

plug and play ECU for EA to ED

I've just put a programable EMS 8860 computer in my EA Falcoon. Essentially I've made an adaptor harness from the computer to the existing Ford plug so its a complete plug in operation. The only extra thing that needs to be done is the map sensor tubing from the engine to the 8860 EMS inside the car plus a resistor soldered on a plug leading to the ignition module. Otherwise it would be completely a plug and play.
If there is enough interest I would be prepared to make these in bulk.
If your looking for a programable Engine Management System the EMS 8860 is the way to go and its just been released. For a one off adaptor harness it would cost about $300. In bulk it would cost a little less. The main expense is the ECC4 plug that I sourced from the US but I'm sure if I purchased a few the price would come down. I'm yet to do the final tuning but theres certainly more power there. The EMS 8860 is about $1565
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 07:16   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Re: plug and play ECU for EA to ED

nice work mate, i hope you get a bit of business out of it.

what other mods have you done to your EA?

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 23:30   #3 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

My T66 turbo came by courier yesterday, I have a huge Mack Truck Bar and Plate Intercooler, 550cc injectors and I'm half way welding up the exhaust manifold. I'm going to bolt all of this on a standard 300000km motor and see what power I can get till something goes wrong on the standard motor. I reckon an easy and reliable 200 to 250 kw at the treads. I have a AU motor on standby. With all fully done I'm looking at 350 to 400 rwkw. The Adaptor harness is now completely plug and play, all you need to do is put the map sensor hose thru the firewall. All in all a 30 sec job to change from factory to aftermarket ECU.
Old 10-04-2003, 00:22   #4 (permalink)
1 MORE GO WITH A 4.0L

sounds excellent Im planing a simalar project to yours not as wild and I was looking at putting a delco in but you have given a much better option !

also is the price of the($1565) EMS comp with or without the flying loom? as it wouldnt be needed with your plug would it? and would work out cheaper!
swoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 19:22   #5 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

I have to ring up Peter at EMS but I think that by deducting the wiring loom it would be about $100 to $150 cheaper that the 1565. I've been driving around with the standard fuel/ ign maps with the fuel map just trimmed down to suit the engine and no crap I reckon it drives better than the standard computer as it is. The 8860 has wideband lamda and data logging so it makes tuning on the road easy. At the moment its a little rich on the cruise side. Give me a few weeks (can only do this when I can) and all the cold start and other other minor stuff will be sorted out. I am so stoked cause when I did the harness I thought I would have a few problems getting it started (I wasnt sure about the interfacing with the ford ignition module) I was so surprised when it started absolutely first pop (although rich). The 8860 has just been released and there is alot more software yet to be developed for it but will be done in the next year or so. Overall I think its one of the best value for money ones on the market. I dont have connection with EMS. I use the EMS duel sport in my Turbo Torana and was very happy with it. This new computer has addressed all the shortcoming that were in the duel sport.
Old 10-06-2003, 00:52   #6 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

I just checked my invoice from EMS. The EMS 8860 is $1398 without the loom. (EMSs supplied loom is $197). So for my adaptor harness for $300 and the EMS 8860 for $1398 it would be a total of $1698. Plug in and drive away. Once I get it all tuned up properly I will do a back to back test with the old ECC4 and the EMS 8860 on the qtr mile.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:35   #7 (permalink)

How do you tune the 8860? Through a laptop?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:00   #8 (permalink)

How's it going turbotrana, I would be very keen to purchase an EMS 8860 with your adapter harness as I am about to start pulling the 4.0l in my ED apart to fit an ACL race series rebuild kit and a heap of other goodies from Jim Mock. One of the mods i'm doing is replacing the standard inlet manifold, with the EF broad band manifold. To do this succesfully (according to Brendan mock) I will need an EL ECU so I can set it up to change the runner length at certain RPM and alter the timing as well. Do you feel it would be quite simple to program something into the EMS so that it will activate the butterflies in the BBM at say eg. 3000rpm and change the timiing at the same time. I am also going to fit twin thermo's, with the EMS 8860 would i be able to set the thermo's to switch on at a certain water temp? Any info would be greatly appreciated

I am no mechanic genius, I'm only an apprentice Diesel Mechanic, but my best mate (who is helping with the rebuild) is a 3rd year app mechanic at the local Ford dealership... so we do have a little knowlege.

P.S. does the 8860 come with a hand controller for tuning???
SMIDY_XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:35   #9 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

The EMS8860 is laptop. You can only use the handpiece to look at gauges and also do fuel/ign trimming but nothing else. The handcontroller is extra. I just have mine from my old EMS Duel Sport. Its pointless buying it. I use a laptop.
If you had a stock EA/ED falc the maps that I am refining at the moment will run your car perfectly. Theres the cold start and Idle air control valve parameter to program as yet.
The 8860 has eight outputs. It can control the manifold butterfly based on RPM, thermofans no problem at all. For your mods you will have thread the relay wires into the cabin and I can tell you what to connect it to. I am in Perth, I could install it for you if you live here. I wouldn't bother with the EL ECU
Old 10-07-2003, 06:40   #10 (permalink)

So I could use this 8860 to run a T04E on my ED XR6? And what if I run a custom inlet manifold, do I run MAP or MAF?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons